Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324598 Jul 12th, 2010 at 01:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi all I am from Pa and planted from (plant) the baby watermelon in May. Something is wrong with the leaves the baby watermelon is there but the leaves do not look right. We planted in a raised garden bed this year and had mushroom manure delivered and mixed with lime. The watermelon does not look like it is getting bigger. Ask mom she said stem should be brown when ripe and melon green and where it is sitting an ground yellow. Well the melon is green and yellow if it is lying in grass. Cukes got a few this year 5 at the most but brown and yellow leaf and ended up pulling out of bed because it looked really bad and no more cukes. What the heck am I doing wrong?the raised bed is in full sun and i water every day . Help.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You might be over watering..

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
..........planted from (plant) the baby watermelon in May. Something is wrong with the leaves the baby watermelon is there but the leaves do not look right.

What does it look like? The leaves should be dark green.

We planted in a raised garden bed this year and had mushroom manure delivered and mixed with lime.

The baby watermelon grow best when the soil pH is close to neutral [pH 7].
[pH 0 to 6 acidic, pH 8-14 alkaline] Adding lime increases the pH; not sure what the soil pH was before you added the lime. The pH may have gone over pH 7.

The watermelon does not look like it is getting bigger. Ask mom she said stem should be brown when ripe and melon green and where it is sitting an ground yellow. Well the melon is green and yellow if it is lying in grass.

The mature fruit should be green about 8 inches in diameter and should be ready for picking about 5 weeks after full bloom. The portion of the fruit that touches the ground will be yellowish in color because it was not exposed to the sunlight.

Like Tamara said in her post, you are over watering. Deep watering once a week should be enough. You mentioned mushroom manure; you could also apply liquid fertilizer every 3 weeks.

Cukes got a few this year 5 at the most but brown and yellow leaf and ended up pulling out of bed because it looked really bad and no more cukes. What the heck am I doing wrong?the raised bed is in full sun and i water every day . Help.

Part of your cukes problem is over watering. They don't like standing water and constant soggy roots; leaves will also turn yellow from too much water. Water once a week. Cucumbers have both male and female flowers; to get more fruits, you can help in pollination [using cotton swab] by transferring the male pollens to female flowers [female flowers are the ones with little cucumbers under the flowers].

Credit: gardening tips-idea dot com

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Dont know about you , but in zone 5 cukes grow best after 4th july.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
flwr

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
No Points Cindy????????????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image