Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324261 Jul 9th, 2010 at 09:00 AM
OP Offline
I finally went out and bought a Pressure Canner yesterday. It works as a HWB also so I decided it'd be good to have both on hand. The Pressure Canning is not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be tho. Just put a couple inches of water in the pot, add the jars, fill, and place the lid on. Once it starts to shoot steam out of the vent pipe you put a little weight (came with the canner) on the vent pipe and 15 minutes later all is done! WA LA!

So I have 4 quarts of salsa canned and looking beautiful and scrumptious on my pantry shelf! clap I think next time I'll definately do pints tho. A quart size jar didn't look that big to me, but it's A LOT of salsa! No worries I'll save the big jars for parties/gifts and do some smaller ones for the hubby and I to get into at will.

I'm also trying a very very simplified version of my grandma's applebutter recipe. Add all ingredients to the crockpot and simmer (with the lid off) until thick. It's going to take awhile I think. I still have two more quarts of applesauce to add when it boils down enough to fit! It's been bubbling away since yesterday afternoon and will probably do so for several more hours!!!

But WOW you should smell my house right now!!! YUM!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #324262 Jul 9th, 2010 at 09:35 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
give me a minute I'll be right down lol. I do love applebutter. Would you be interested in sharing the recipe?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #324279 Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:43 AM
OP Offline
Of course although it's more of a super simplified version of what used to be a recipe! grin

This is what I used:
9 quarts of applesauce
2-3 Tablespoons Cinnamon (to taste)
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3-4 cups of sugar/sweetener (depending on ur diabetic status or that of ur loved ones)

I started out with the 4 quarts or so of applesause and added all the spices and about half of the sugar/sweetener. I kept the lid elevated off the crockpot with butterknives so it would boil down and thicken. Several hours later it boiled down enough to add another quart of applesauce and the rest of the sugar. I still have a quart or so to go! grin I keep taste testing and it is soooo scrumptious! It gets better and better every time I try it. It's starting to get thiker too. I plan on processing it some in a food processer when it's all finished so it's a bit smoother and more spreadable.

That's my very watered down (but still very yummy)applebutter recipe. I'm using mostly splenda and just a little sugar for this batch because my hubby LOVES applebutter but also has diabetes!

The main difference between my version and MamaGypsy's (my awesome grandma) is that she starts out with cut up apples and uses a pot in the oven. I skipped the apples and went with applesauce (lazy I know). Then I decided a crockpot would be easier and just as functional as a pot in the oven.

So when will you be here to help me try it out??? I'm thinking fresh biscuits in the AM will be just the ticket for the official first taste test! thumbup

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #324287 Jul 9th, 2010 at 01:08 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Where is my transporter when I need it. Scotty beam me to garden3fairy's house please.

wow I so wish I could be there. It sounds scrumptious. Thanks for the recipe.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image