Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324283 Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:59 AM
OP Offline
I think it's mostly a southern thing, but does anyone have a good recipe for boiled peanuts? All I know is water salt and green peanuts. I'm thinking about canning some for the hubby. Possibly cajun???

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #325741 Jul 24th, 2010 at 07:38 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm very interested in this topic also, Crystal!

I just found out recently that it is possible to grow peanuts in Maine. Go figure! lol I always thought of them as a southern crop.

So, let's see what me 'n you can find out, m'kay?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #325745 Jul 24th, 2010 at 07:59 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Here's one recipe:

Southern Cajun Boiled Peanuts

Ingredients:
5 lbs raw peanuts in shells
3/4 cup salt
1 1/4 cup dill pickle slices, with brine
5 small jalapeno peppers, sliced
5 tablespoons dry crab boil such as Zataran's Crab & Shrimp

Directions:
Place salt, dill pickles w/ brine, jalapenos, crab boil and peanuts into a large pot. Pour in water to cover the peanuts, then stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until soft -- at least 4 hours -- adding water from time to time to keep peanuts covered.

This recipe says to scoop peanuts out of the liquid w/ a slotted spoon & serve hot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #325980 Jul 26th, 2010 at 08:07 AM
OP Offline
Sounds good to me!!! I think I'm gonna give that one a try. I never thought of throwing pickles into the boil. Sounds great actually!

Let me know if you try it first! And I'll let you know when I make mine. It'll be a couple weeks though. I've got a big family reunion coming up for my Grandma's 80th Birthday. It's a party of wedding proportions LOL!

Thanks for the recipe!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image