Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#321931 Jun 19th, 2010 at 10:02 AM
OP Offline
It seems that the rabbits are jumping over my chicken wire and eating the buds of my sqush plants after the flowers fall. Can someone recommend a good potion to keep these critters out. I live in the Missouri area and my garden is looking great except that the squash is not producing anything because the rabbits are eating at Tom's all you can eat garden for rabbits.

Thanks
Tom

Oh no! I'm a fan of cute little critters. Right up until they start eating my garden! nono

I had an issue with squirels and birds. I got some "bird netting" from local home depot type store and a few two by fours. I made a very simple little frame around the garden and stapled the netting all the way around. So far it's working like a charm! My Garden is fort knox (at least at the moment).

Here's a link to the picture so you can see how simple it was. I don't know if it would keep out the bunnies all by itself, but if you use it in combination with your chicken wire already in place then I bet it would do the trick!

Bird Netting To Keep The Critters Out

Good luck! grin

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

OP Offline
Hey what's that growing in the tire?

LOL! The tires on the right are sweet potatos and on the right are red potatos. I have a small space and I read on this forum somewhere that you can grow them in a stack of old tires, filling them with dirt and adding another tire when they grow tall enough. clap

I'm learning so much from all the pros on this forum! Very helpful!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Never heard of growing sweet potatoes in tires. potatoes, sure. But sweet potatoes? Interesting.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #322104 Jun 21st, 2010 at 04:52 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmm, sweet potatoes grow from the vines slip off the potato not the potato seed itself???

We can't grow them here, our soil doesn't warm up enough for good crops but it would be interesting to try. I heard you suspend your potato in water to get the eyes to grow to get the slips to plant..is that how it's done there?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
I don't get it. The vines slip? I just thought since the other potatos could be grown in tires that sweet potatos could too. Is there something (or another thing) I don't know? why How exactly do sweet potatos grow? Is it different from regular potatos? THat's probably a question I should've asked BEFORE planting them in the tire, but like I've said before: This first years garden is all about learning.

* Crystal *

PS the sweet potato plants were bought as seedlings from a local store. The red potato one I had leftover in my pantry that I got to sprout.

* Crystal *

OP Offline
okay So I bought some 1/2 inch PVC and attached it to my raised bed and then put some light plastic hardware cloth down both sides of the garden....not down the middle. result...they are still getting in. So now I'm going to pull the hardware cloth....get a pelt gun and....okay not really. I'm going to pull the hardware cloth and put another level of chicken wire around. That will make the fencing around my garden 4 and a half feet high.

My next move after that is to take a few days off from work and mount my video camera out there with the night vision on and see what is really eating my garden cuz it may not be rabbits.

Whatever it is that's getting into everything it sounds like they're stubborn little suckers! Hope you get it figured out Tawright! I'm rootin for team garden! Those critters are goin DOWN!

* Crystal *

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
rabbits, groundhogs, deer, birds or even a neighbors cat or dog (or yours). any/all could be the culprits. if you have the ability, set the camera up and then you'll know what kind of fencing you need to put up.

Zone 6b
OP Offline
So the PVC and the netting did not work...I came out the next day and more buds where gone. So here is what I did.
I put another layer of chicken wire around the garden above the existing wire. So now my fence is 4 feet high. Then I connected the bottom of the new wire with the top of chicken wire beneath it with wire ties. Waited a week and low and behold I HAVE SQUASH!!!!!!!!!! and LITTLE TINY PUMPKINS!!!!!!!!!

I won, I won...oh yeah oh yeah. Rabbits are looking a little on the skinny side now that the buffet is closed.

Sweeet Victory!!! Nice work!!! Pictures?

* Crystal *

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thats great , to win a war.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image