Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#322861 Jun 27th, 2010 at 05:09 PM
OP Offline

I need help....my garden is empty, I would love a garden that had a sort of flow to it....and looked FULL.... its a big space with little sun, every sun plant I try ends up dying...I'm new to gardening and landscaping, so please be honest..thanks:)

also some pumpkins ended up in the garden, I'm not sure how....but they seem to be doing well....
ps....I also get lots of DEER

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Traci
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Looks like a cool space. What's all that behind the garden? And how is this space oriented? N-S-E-W?

I don't often post in this forum, but I think one of the first things I'd want to know, to help you choose your plants, is where the sun is throughout the day.

I'd sure others will be along shortly.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi..

Here's a few links to get you started~you need part shade to shade plants there.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ps~perennials.html

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/fs~perennials.html

You'll see a little icon to the right on some of the plants~the deers head with a circle around and a line through..these are plants that deer aren't as likely to eat. thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
the garden is located on a small hill.....as you move away from the garden and go up.....its lots of trees, ferns, and weeds.....don't forget the ticks! About two years ago I weeded, pulled rocks and put new soil down & mulch....to create what you see now... It mostly gets morning sunning, for about 1/3 hours, the tree's hang over the garden...

Traci
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
The front of my house gets the same shade..

I have hostas, astilbes, bleeding hearts, jacobs ladder, columbines, coral bells, and am successfully growing a 'goldmound spirea' as well that just brightens up the whole space.

What all do you have in it now? I think I see hostas.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
3k Posts
3k Posts
If you've got wild ferns in back, why not transplant some of those to your shade spot.

If it's your property, nobody should have a problem with you doing that.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
One thing to remember when planting a new bed is that as plants mature they get bigger so leave room for that, also leave enough room around the plants that you can reach everywhere to weed them.

Next try to get plants with different bloom times. Peonies like part shade and bloom in May standing around 30 inches tall; but, they can take a long time to get adjusted to a new environment up to 8 years to bloom for some varieties. Primroses also like shade and bloom for a long time during the growing season. Primroses look great in the front of the boarder since the blooms are very close to the ground.

And a slow spreading evergreen groundcover can give you that full look and 4 seasons of interest for your garden.

A small water feature can also add to the four seasons garden even if it is as small as a rock with a shallow bowl in it just enough to hold an inch of water for butterflies during the summer.

And lets not forget some kind of bench so the gardener has a place to rest after caring for the garden.

I would also look at some kind of lighting if the bed can be viewed from a good vantage point.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,872
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image