Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Pic of blackberries:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankyguitarwatson/4720928787/

Just curious if the species is any of the following, and if so, which species is it, I will try to get a pic of the flowers at the URL if I can.

Here are some excerpts from a wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry
In various parts of the United States, wild blackberries are sometimes called "Black-caps", a term

more commonly used for black raspberries, Rubus occidentalis.

A typical blackberry is in the Rubus genus of the Rosaceae family.

Invasive species of blackberry:
"Particularly Rubus armeniacus (syn. R. procerus, 'Himalaya') and Rubus laciniatus ('Evergreen') are

naturalised and considered an invasive species and a serious weed.[1]

I will sample one of the ripe ones now and let everyone know how they taste.

Thanks.
Fred

OP Offline
I just went out and picked a black one - it ran a thin raspberry-colored juice all over my hand but when I ate it - it was quite delicious, every bit as good as the (poisonous) cotoneaster I mentioned last year. So I guess I'll have to keep those berries a secret, of course, let the local animals enjoy most of them. They can really use the vitamin C this time of year.

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
It looks like Rubus leucodermis (aka: Blackcap or Wild Black Raspberry) to me. A clear photo of the foliage might help confirm that...

OP Offline
Here, I've added 3 photos of the foliage on flickr. Hope this helps. Thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankyguitarwatson/sets/72157624200650353/

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
I am 96% sure that it is Rubus leucodermis Did you taste the berries yet? They're yummy in moderation

OP Offline
I will need to be convinced that they are not just an Eastern commercial black raspberry Rubus Occidentalis (which is similar to the Western black raspberry species Rubus Leucodermis). It wouldn't surprise me if a bird or squirrel ate some jelly and caused the seeds to sprout last year. Yes, I ate a berry earlier today - it is very tasty. It wouldn't surprise me if the berries have some ill effects if I ate too many but I don't mind taking some bad with the good. But I'll bet in the longrun they cure a lot of ills with all of the antioxidants and vitamins and fiber and everything else. They seem like a miracle-cure type of food - used by pregnant women even.

I'll have to study this one a lot further as there are subspecies involved and possibly some hybridization (they remind me of oak trees) in the case that it IS in fact Rubus Leucodermis. I wonder if Leucodermis is found on the East Coast and if so, is it extensively found?

Fred

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image