Rate Thread
#321377 Jun 15th, 2010 at 03:00 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Is there anyway to see a list of the posts I have emailed? I emailed one (so my list is short!) to myself a while back and can't seem to find in in my email.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #321385 Jun 15th, 2010 at 03:41 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Did you post in the topic..if you did you can click on 'my stuff' then 'my posts' and search there. Not sure on the e-mail thing. Sorry.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #321401 Jun 15th, 2010 at 04:59 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281367
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=284086 why

Wild Willy #321464 Jun 16th, 2010 at 07:21 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild Willy
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281367
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=284086 why

First one! Thank you so much. What I was looking for is this comment of Jay's:

I guess you could say I use the layer method of gardening to some extent. Some years I still rip it deep which pulls everything on top down some. Then I have to till some afterwards. Otherwise I'm getting more like the Ruth Stout method and was way before I even heard and read about her. I don't put any cardboard down. The thing I like about grass clippings is they lay better than straw in the wind. I usually apply them freshly mown and spread them thin so they will dry and not stink.
I've been around and involved in farming and ranching all my 56 years. The thing about hay and straw is kind, when it is cut, type, and how it is put up. I feel that is one reason you see so many different opinions on straw and hay. Here most if not all straw is baled behind the combine. So there is always some wheat seed in it. I've put down some now that had set in large bales rotting for 3-4 years and the bales were half rotted and still having more problems with seeds germinating than I ever have. Here the hay is mainly alfalfa which is great most of the times. As it should be cut before it seeds. A few growers that don't take care of their fields will have dirty hay but most don't. As long as what they have hasn't went to seed I'm ok with it. If it has I stay away. The other hays you find around here are what we call feed hay( sorghum ect), bermuda( Which is like using grass clippings if cut young and dried properly) and some are growing some grass mixes for horses(again avoid any that has went to seed). I don't use much feed hay as the stalks are two coarse usually. I have cleaned up the bottomw of stacks where it has rotted. My main point is everyones experience can be different depending on source. And many don't know their sources like I do and also haven't looked at as much hay and straw as I have over the years. I can usually look at it and know right off if I want to use it. Wheat and oat hay unless cut real young are two to stay away from as you can have lots of seed problems. If mulched heavlly it is easy to remove though. Just some of my thoughts and experiences on using straw and hay. Jay

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image