Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#29514 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 06:03 PM
OP Offline
I bought an azalea this past weekend without really knowing where I was going to put it (couldn't pass up the good deal). The spot where I would like to put it (morning full sun, afternoon shade) is at the top end of a slightly sloping new bed.

I know azaleas like acidic soil, but if I plant it there and "regular" plants elsewhere in the bed, will the acidic fertililzer run down and effect the other plants? Or should it just absorb straight into the soil where the azalea is, and other plants will be fine?

I've always planted them in the same soil as other stuff, without even watching pH, and the do fine.

One supervisor I had at the University of Portland, felt that azaleas may be acid tolerant in some cases, more so than acid loving.

Anyhow, I've never boosted the acidity of soil for azaleas.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Coast Redwood Photos
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd have to second what md said. i don't ever worry about it, but if you are concerned, you can mulch with pine straw and that will take care of it.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My Northern Lights deciduous Azalea is on it's 4th year now....I just threw it in the clay soil and I don't feed it and it's done pretty darn well....actually it's flowering now---I'll have to take a few pics.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image