Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27083 Apr 20th, 2007 at 03:14 AM
Sherome Offline OP
OP Offline
We bought a bag of lady bugs to introduce to our garden area. They were alive and very healthy when I turned them loose. I did as the instuctions said when I cut the bag open. However, the next morning, I found them dead in a pile where I turned them loose. We never use sprays or poisons, so we did nothing to kill them. Can anyone tell me why this might have happened, since we plan to try again. I let them loose under a tree area, out of the sun, and moistened the area before I opened the bag.

Sherome
Sherome #28374 Apr 21st, 2007 at 07:44 PM
Since you don't give a location could it be to cold yet for ladybugs to be active in your area?

Ladybugs in nature don't wake up until their food sources are present and there have been some warm sunny days.

Contact your supplier.

herbalyn #28470 Apr 21st, 2007 at 09:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wow, I sort of wish I needed ladybugs....we get hundreds of them trying to get inside our house....the asian kind that are more orange and yes they bite!

I would do what herbalyn said and contact your supplier....can't tell where you live because it's not in your profile, but I too was wondering if you live somewhere warm enough for them to be out yet?

#30505 Apr 25th, 2007 at 06:18 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
As far as I know, they can withstand near-freezing. In fact, I kept mine in the fridge for 2 weeks before I'd released them all. I've read that the ones you get in the spring are older--most ladybugs living a year or so--and near death anyway. Usually these will come out of hibernation, mate, and die. I still think that it is unusual for them to all be dead. If it was chilly when you checked on them, they'd look very dead but when it warms up, they'd be running around. Who did you buy them from? I'd definitely give them a call/email and let them know what happened, maybe get a refund or more ladybugs.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #30639 Apr 25th, 2007 at 07:34 AM
Sherome Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband bought them loacaly. It was over 50 degrees when I checked on them, so they were dead. I think we will try again later and see what happens. Perhaps we should try again also in the fall. Maybe they were too old and ready to die. You never know. You can't trust everyone that takes your money.

Sherome
herbalyn #30656 Apr 25th, 2007 at 07:42 AM
Sherome Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by herbalyn
Since you don't give a location could it be to cold yet for ladybugs to be active in your area?

I never gave any thought to my location being important in my profile. I can see that it would be good in this forum. I've changed that now. I live in Northeast Florida and I assumed that since they were being sold in local stores, that it was time for them.

Sherome
Sherome #31776 Apr 26th, 2007 at 09:53 AM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Water and Food are the two most important
things they need on release..
They come hungry and thirsty so they will
eat right outta the box and stay and take
care of your problem as to why you bought them...

Another question, does either neighbor on either
side of you use pesticides...??

Those are the things that come to my mind first...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sherome #31924 Apr 26th, 2007 at 12:48 PM
Ladybugs are harvested from the wild in Sierra Nevada foothills where they migrate in spring as the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys warm up. There they rest and breed on the floor of pine forests in large numbers. Humans come along and scoop them up, removing them from their native habitat. They are then taken to coolers for storage until they are going to be shipped.

One they arrive and are released in someone yard they usually migrate before feeding or laying eggs, providing little or no control for your pests. Another concern is harvested ladybugs may be parasitized by a small wasp, Perilitus coccinellae. It develops as an internal parasite of lady beetles and kills them.

Harvesting ladybugs from the wild is not environmentally friendly.

If you want ladybugs the best thing to do is attract them in naturally with planting things like, dill, yarrow and other assorted flowering plants. If you want to do a release of a beneficial insects release laboratory reared lacewings. They will do an excellent job of feeding on plant pests such as aphids, mealybugs, scale and others.

As to why you ladybugs died, could be a few reason. Some pesticides can have residues for several months, or even other chemicals that may not be labeled as pesticide but may be toxic to them.
Also ladybugs being in containers in that close of an environment promotes disease issues. It is possible they were sick and the stress of shipment made it worse. Also if water was added to the container this could have promoted a disease problems. Paper towels carry chemicals that are known to kill caterpillars, maybe ladybugs too if exposed to them?

Was it to cold for them at night? Remember you are not release ladybugs from your neck of the woods. Are you seeing your native ladybugs out yet? Also are the ones you are seeing just the dead ones form the bottom of the container? There are always fatalities.

Hope this helps!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
Buglady #31942 Apr 26th, 2007 at 02:26 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You can buy ladybugs?

I should scoop them up and ship them, they are everywhere here. lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image