Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#319368 May 26th, 2010 at 06:38 AM
OP Offline
It has been forever since I have been on here. I moved 3 years ago and had 2 babies in the process, this year I have a garden again YAY! I planted a ton of strawberries where the past owners had vinca that I have jacked and dug up over the last 2 years. I have had a lot of friends say that as soon as they get ripe berries birds swoop down and steal them. I read somewhere many years ago that painting some small rocks red and scattering them around the beds will keep birds from stealing your ripe berries when they come. Has anyone ever done this and it work? or what are some other things I like birds don't want to harm them but I like ripe yummy berries more. . . any advice is great thanks

Kids make great pest control . . . catch bugs . . . scare birds & bunnies . . . pick veggies and fruit as soon as its ripe (sometimes before) . . . and they love using a fly swatter!
My local garden store recently sold me some tape to scare away the birds, I think its called flash or reflective garden tape. It looks a bit like a roll of thin strips of tin foil which you tie to your plants and the refection is suppose to scare away birds. So far in comparison to other years growing strawberries without the tape I have lost far less fruit, once in a while a few go missing here or there but the majority of the crop has been safe from birds.

I also use for my larger plants netting you throw over plants that are suppose to keep fruit from being picked by birds, I got one for my raspberry plant a few years back and I remember home depot selling netting for strawberries and low growing fruit. The netting openings are large enough for light and water to get through but not big enough for birds and other small animals to get to the fruit.

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."
- Marquis de la Grange

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image