Rate Thread
#317873 May 15th, 2010 at 09:21 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Recently Carol Jean posted about making an effort to save $$ on the electric bill by unplugging everything that eats power when not in use. I know that does add up and is often recommended even in the schools around here.

But that post got me thinking about other ways people make an effort to save energy and $$, both simple and complex, around the house and w/ their cars. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could post things we have tried or heard about.

Today I was watching DIY channel and they said LIGHTING accounts for 20% of the average home's electric bill. 20% is huge.

Also, that by switching from standard incandescent bulbs to the new compact fluorescent bulbs will save 75%.

But checking local suppliers up here, the fluorescent bulbs are quite pricey by comparison to the incandescent and many people I know just use them in hard-to-reach places where they don't want to be changing bulbs frequently.

So what do you think? What do you do to try to save energy and $$? What have you heard about that you'd like to try?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #317886 May 15th, 2010 at 10:35 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I packed up my coffee maker many years ago. I use a French press now. Putting the coffeemaker in storage saved me about $30 a month alone. They draw a lot of wattage.
I have incandescent bulbs all over my house.
And no plug in clocks. Changing a little battery about once a year is less expensive. Although there is a clock on my oven and microwave drawing power all of the time. I thought about unplugging the micro when not in use. I am a cheapskate.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #317916 May 15th, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I can't easily reach any of my outlets, so I must leave things plugged in. Otherwise, I'd always have to wait for other people to come around to plug and unplug for me. But I have heard other people also comment that they prefer to unplug small appliances for safety reasons as well.

Using batteries always reminds me of that old controversy about cloth diapers vs disposables. Disposables end up in landfills but cloth require washing & drying and detergents. Which is better for the environment? I never know what to think of batteries, which I know will end up in a landfill someplace for eternity.

Here in Maine there is quite a conversation occurring about wind power. There has been some controversy and some voting involved. Hopefully, those who are in favor of wind power will make headway and bring us more wind mills. There is a very large one in a nearby town already.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #317945 May 15th, 2010 at 03:00 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm a big believer on turning off lights..and washing clothes in cool water when I can.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I haven't washed in warm or hot water for a lot of years, strictly cold.
Cloth diapers with the newer detergents are the way to go.
And we have huge wind farms all over SoCal and get a good portion of our power from those. They are actually very pretty and photogenic.
Full refrigerators and freezers are more economical to run.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
I'm a big believer on turning off lights..and washing clothes in cool water when I can.

I must admit I am lousy about turning off lights as I don't see well without a bunch of light even during the day. I tend to leave the lights on... a lifelong habit it seems because I can remember my mom complaining "the house it all lit up like a Christmas tree!" lol

I typically also use cold water to wash whenever possible although I do sometimes to use warm or hot as need be.

Well, I have not settled the cloth vs disposable in my mind because I can see the benefits & drawbacks of both. And maybe that is a point... seeing all the angles. Most of these topics are far too complex for a simple "one size fits all" solution.

Has anyone driven or ridden in one of those new Hybrid cars? I had the chance to take a day trip in one about 2 years ago. It was great! I really liked it! And the gas savings were huge. But the price tag was huger!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #346714 Aug 1st, 2011 at 03:20 AM
try motion senser light switches,they turn the lights off for you only a few dollars to install and will pay for them selfs in a few months. rolz

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,872
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image