Print Thread
Rate Thread
#315357 Apr 28th, 2010 at 09:11 AM
The Gnome
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Gnome
3k Posts
I haven't said much about the PDCP for a few days, but not because there was nothing happening with the project...
For the past few weeks I have spent 10-12 hours every single day working on the data base. This part of the process began with me dissecting every garden plant directory on the Garden Helper and compiling a really long list of plants. The list kept growing from that point on, so I had to break it up into six smaller lists from which I have been editing individual plant profiles.
The edits varied depending on what was already on-site, but included short descriptions, adding the "Plant Care Icons" and searching through over seventy thousand photos for good identification images of the plants. Merme helped out a bunch by researching and listing all the flower colors for every plant in the list so I could add that feature as well.
To prevent insanity, I have been hopping between the different jobs involved in putting this together. (You can only sort through photos, or do html coding, or researching for so long, before your brain pops...)
I still have more profiles to edit and photos to find, but I have finally reached a point that I can begin to put all the collected data back onto the directories where they began. ( i.e. Hummingbird flowers and perennial plants for partial shade etc.) The unveiling of the first of the new Garden Helper directories will begin to appear in the next few days. It will take quite a while to complete this stage and even longer to put all of the available data into other new 'data' pages that I need to make....

Someday, when I get caught up again, I will begin adding more plants to the PDCP but for today this is how our [b]P[/b]lant [b]D[/b]ata [b]C[/b]ollection [b]P[/b]roject stands...

idea Time to go back to work now, but I wanted to let you know what I have been up to....

Wild Willy #315363 Apr 28th, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow...It's wonderful to see all the great changes being made...your hard work has certainly not gone un-noticed.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #315380 Apr 28th, 2010 at 04:05 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
WOW, Bill.

I go to "check" on what you have done lately and then I get lost in all the wonderful information that there is available.

If I am not careful, I will need several more flower beds in the back yard to fit all of my choices. :wink: lol

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image