Print Thread
Rate Thread
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
We have just constructed what Jim Crockett (of the old PBS series, The Victory Garden) refers to as the Cadillac of Compost Bins. Plans, tips, & cost comparisons follow.
[Linked Image]

As you can see, it's actually three bins in one. The main feature of the three bin arrangement is that rather than turning a pile of compost-- into which you are always putting more-- when the contents of bin #1 are uniformly colored and have begun to decay, you turn the contents into bin #2. (The driest stuff at the top and edges will thus be turned over to the bottom-most area of bin #2.) Fill up bin #1 again, and when ready, move bin #2 to bin #3 ... .

Since we just built this, I'm filling up two bins at once (the outer ones) and will turn them both into the center one when it's time. This gives me a LOT more space.

The whole thing measures 9' x 3' x 3'. The "front" is constructed of slats-- separated by some staple nails for ventilation-- that can be removed individually so that you can turn a pile (no matter how high) before you turn the whole bin into the next bin. The sides are dog wire. The wire panels (that define the bins) are bolted to two large planks running lengthwise.

We spent about $134 on materials. The materials list (below) calls for way too many nails, so we have lots of left overs. I compared the cost of this with others I found on line. Just for fun... . The Cadillac holds 81 cubic feet or 606 gallons (if filled to the brim). So the cost was $1.66 per cubic foot, or $0.22 per gallon. The most comparable I found was essentially a two-bin version of ours (51 cubic feet), but without the top brace and lighter wire. It cost $259.99; $5.00/cubic foot or 300% more than ours!

Here's the materials list and construction directions from Crockett's Victory Garden (1977). An excellent book, by the way, selling for next to nothing at online book sellers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wowee, that's nice thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Eva Offline
All I can say is wow!!!! ~Oh and I want one!

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
awesome!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Well-- like I said, it's pretty easy to build. A nice Saturday project! flwr

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm so glad you posted this, Marica. That is just the kind of compost bin I would want to have should I ever have the chance.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image