Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30447 Apr 25th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
OP Offline
hi.im trying hard to safe money on my bills.can anyone tell is it safe to use my bathwater on my potato n carrot patch please?im not sure as i use bubblebath etc

angelina #30490 Apr 25th, 2007 at 06:08 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
My guess is no. The way I think of it is this, Would I feel comfortable eating shampoo/bubble bath/soap? I was made to eat plenty of soap as a kid, would rather not eat more! lol I'd wait and see what others say, I'm sure they'll be by in a little bit.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #30515 Apr 25th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
I'm sitting on the fence with this one myself...

I truly know what she is going thru,
if wanting to save money, with what sounds like a
water bill...
****we lived on a hill w/spring fed water..
and if it was hot, dry, no rain...we had NO WATER,
we had to conserve.. and made do with what we had****

So, I understand why she maybe asking this question...

And a gardener can put some amount of soap on a plant
(they use a tablespoon in mixtures to adhere the liquid to the leaves when spraying for troubles or foliar feeds)

And I suppose, in bathwater you'd have a certain amount of
dirt *from one's body* which the plant is already in, and gets' sprayed on by splashing water from rain or hose...

And I could assume, WITHOUT BEING 100% SURE, that if there's dead skin cells which would normally come off of
one's body during the bathing process, wouldn't or shouldn't hurt a plant.. maybe also even give it some kind of nutrition??? *something that would decompose and add to the soil??*

And one does normally wash off a item brought in from
the garden, so again, would or should be clean..

And the rain water would or should wash away things too,
if it were bad something in the other water...

but I am not 100% certain really...

I tend to think back to the olden days before hoses'
and town water tanks, etc.. what the folks did for their
water in their gardens...

***I think back to the old expression..
"Don't throw out the baby with the bath water"
~~~>Meaning...the head of the house hold got his bath first, then usually any other adult then the kids, and the baby was last.. and the water was sooooooo muddy/cloudy looking, you might not be able to see the kid when you chuck out the water.. I would sermize *sp* that they also
used the bath water on their plants at the very end..<~~~

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #30521 Apr 25th, 2007 at 06:30 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
All of my bath water (gray water) goes out to water trees and such along with my laundry water. The amounts of stuff in your bath won't hurt any of your plants. Go for it. It all helps 'green' our world.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #30534 Apr 25th, 2007 at 06:44 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I use mine. I bath in the evening and water in the morning. So by the time it gets out there all the clhorine is gone and hopefully most of the heavier elements have drifted to the bottom of the tub. So what is on top should be pretty good.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #30633 Apr 25th, 2007 at 07:31 AM
I always shower, so don't have bath water to use. However, the sink in my egg house, empties right onto the ground. So as I clean the eggs, using dish liquid, it pours out onto some banana trees that we have planted there. No harm has ever come to them. They appear to be doing well. I also clean the chicken that I slaughter in the same sink, and give it a continuous rinsing while cleaning it. The Bananas also seem to be doing well with that.

I would say, and I wouldn't hasitate to do this myself, that if you are not using anything other than a good soap bar, there is no reason you cannot use the water from your bath, (I would never us a bubble bath). It would be even better if you used a natural organic soap from the health food store. These are bio-degradable.

At one time, we tried growing ferns for sale, used in flower arrangements, and the way it is done is to always add a some liquid detergent into a barrel that is sucked up into the hose when the water is moving through it. The purpose for this was to make the fertilizes more absorbant. It actually helped the growth and beauty of the plant.

Sherome
Sherome #31173 Apr 25th, 2007 at 03:32 PM
OP Offline
thanx guys.i think ill give it a go.cant stand wasting stuff when im on such a tight budget.lost my job few weeks a go so struggling a bit.

angelina #31211 Apr 25th, 2007 at 05:16 PM
I'm glad I am from the land of 10000 lakes, since I would be too lazy to bring the bath water out. But my mom uses fish tank water and I just wanted to mention how awesome that is! It is like manure tea. I was thinking of getting some fish.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
oh yes never waste fish tank water--most wonderful stuff if you are a plant. And I agree with Tammy on letting the bath water set. it just makes sense

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #31387 Apr 26th, 2007 at 02:47 AM
OP Offline
well i saved my bathwater from yesterday so has had plenty of time for bits to settle in bottom.ill water with it tonight.thanx for all your comments

angelina #32467 Apr 27th, 2007 at 09:46 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've even used my water from washing floors and dumped it on my outside plants. Go for I say as well.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image