Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#304580 Feb 4th, 2010 at 02:35 PM
shilo Offline OP
OP Offline
as my big full year project in my horticulture class i deiced to cross my favorite vegetable with the most important ingredient to your salsa. its not a fully mature plant and at first i thought i failed sense its plant and leaf structure are very close to the jalapeno plant (i used the jalapeno as the mother plant.) but today i saw the fruits of my labor, the fruit(or is it a vegetable?) not fully grown let so i haven't tasted it but so far it looks like a fat more rounded red jalapeno. i want to cross breed more in the future any ideas? also comments on my project are welcome.

Last edited by shilo; Feb 4th, 2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
shilo #308301 Feb 24th, 2010 at 08:13 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It's certainly going to be interesting to taste this fruit. And I wonder if one is actually using them to make salsa and wants less of a tomato taste if that's going to be doable? do able? how do you spell doable or is it even a word? We'll have to wait and see I guess. Keep me posted.

Bestofour #310340 Mar 19th, 2010 at 07:50 AM
How did your experimental fruit go? Do you have a pic to share?

Cheers,
Debbie
Debking79 #311039 Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:45 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
tomatoes and peppers cannot be crossed
they are in the same family, but far too dissimilar as species
If this were emenly remotely possible, it would have been observed in the past if in no other case than that of accidental crossing in gardens or agricultural sites
their are instances of grafting tomato scions onto potato roots to avoid certain disease issues, but mind you, this is grafting, not crossing or in any way blending the genetic material
any "cross" between tomatoes and peppers, potatoes or any other two unique species would only be possible through gene splicing
their are interspecial crosses that occur between tomatoes of 2 different species, or, between peppers of 2 different species, but even within the peppers, their occurs at least one species which has never been shown to cross with other species of peppers

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image