Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I found some wild cyclamen in a local wooded area, and wanted to know if I can safely dig some up and transfer them to my garden. I have privet bushes that produce a lot of shade all year and gets lots of leaves stuck in between them, so wanted to plant some cyclamen between the bases of the shrubs. There are lots of earthworms in this area all year round. I also wanted to try and put a cyclamen in a pot outdoors, but I have no shaded areas really, will they grow in semi-full sun if I water them each day?

Also, if they are accidently mowed over in the late fall/early winter will they survive? I mow the garden to rid it of all the dead weeds and clumps of leaves, but there are always leaves left to slightly cover the ground in winter.

Here is a photo of the wild cyclamen, who usually produce purple flowers.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithP; Mar 10th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
3k Posts
3k Posts
I've never had much luck transferring wild stuff from woodland to our lot. A lot of stuff grows wild on our lot anyway, so I just transfer that.

You could always deadhead the flowers from the wild cyclamen, at the end of summer, dry them out and put them away. The seed might grow for you next spring.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I transplanted some of the cyclamen to my garden and have watered them for about 2 weeks so they set root, they are alive, but the leaves are all red-brown (new growth) and the dark green is fading to this reddish-brown. Have I overwatered them, or is this because they get a bit more sunlight?

I have an indoor potted cyclamen that seems to turn reddish when it gets warmer in my home during the summer, or when it starts to produce new growth, but I have never grown them outdoors. I looove cyclamen, how is the project going Keith?

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
In the shade the cyclamen produced flowers, but in the sun they are red, small, and have produced no flowers. If the soil gets too dry they do poorly aswell.

3k Posts
3k Posts
So maybe that's natural, the foliage turning red. I'd like to find some wild cyclamen - maybe I could do some deadheading.

About one out of ten of my deadheads actually grow anything though.

Did you decide on anything since I've been here last?

3k Posts
3k Posts
I always call cyclamens the 'heartbreakers', 'cause they always die off on me.

I used to get them by the box for free - a guy that lives in the building here used to bring them home from work.

I ended up just leaving them in their pots and placing them around the lot. They lasted the summer, then died off.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image