Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#305280 Feb 9th, 2010 at 01:48 PM
mullen7 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm new to both forums and gardening so please be patient if I'm doing something wrong...

My boyfriend and I bought some property in southeast Wisconsin and I would like to plant some things. We have sandy soil which I have been told is good for potatoes. We will only be up there on the weekends. Should I not plant things due to the lack of being there through the week?

mullen7 #305287 Feb 9th, 2010 at 02:06 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi Mullen7

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found us.

I live on the coast of Maine and one thing we have got a lot of is SAND!

A few things to keep in mind about sandy soil....

it is easy to work (you can dig it all day without tiring) because it is so porous. But on the other hand, it doesn't retain water or nutrients very well because it is so porous.

Most people who work it, prefer to amend it as time goes by... adding compost, topsoil, etc., etc.

Some gardens will survive quite well with weekly care; other plantings need more attention.

potatoes are a traditional crop up here. They are easy to grow and require very little hands-on care. In fact, my son grew some potatoes last summer in a bucket on the porch! Just to show his friends that is how potatoes grow... he wasn't doing it seriously to get a good crop. Even so, he had those potatoes fried for breakfast one morning.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image