Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
adamant Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi. I'm new to the forum and hope you can help. I have an Areca Palm that does beautifully in my work cube (next to the window, late day sun, etc.). She's been in the same spot for 5 years and seems to really love it -- in an 8" pot, the tallest frond is ~4', and has grown up from a tiny baby).

Anyway, for the last 3 years, she's had these *tiny* little brown spots near the base of almost every frond (dozens on each). There are a few spots further up the frond, but they are mainly concentrated near the base. The spots are not raised; they don't seem to be a symptom of anything; they don't seem to affect her happiness or growth; they're not even that unsightly (from a distance it just looks like a browning section) -- but I want to know what it is and if I can fix it! Any ideas?

While I'm at it, just yesterday I noticed tiny little flies congregating around my plant. They are easy to kill and there aren't a lot of them, but still -- I don't want any flies bothering my baby. I recently repotted the plant (from 6" to 8") and used soil from an unopened potting mix bag. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it, but thought I'd mention it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Adamant. I love your screen name.
Here is some info on whiteflies , although I am not sure that is exactly what you have.
And here is a link to someone else with problems and some good basic areca info.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
adamant Offline OP
OP Offline
Tina, you're awesome. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Unfortunately, neither point applies to me. I do not have whiteflies. Rather, they are black, very small, and slow. There does not appear to be any sort of infestation -- just some buzzing around. Everytime I think I got them all 3-5 more appear. No larvae, no mites, no dust, no nothing -- just a few buzzing flies.

And regarding the Areca advice, I feel sorry for the other guy, because my baby plant is AWESOME -- she has lived a long life and she's showing no signs of stopping! Sure, she's a little yellow here and there (and she has brown spots and flies), but everyone who sees her is very impressed.

Any advice on the spots or flies would be great. Any if your advice is that I shouldn't care about the spots and flies because my plant is otherwise very healthy, that's OK too. I had just hoped to make those two "blemishes" disappear.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Then treat your soil with something that they do not like. I know cinnamon is a good organic treatment for fungi and many critters do not like it. I am just not very good with most house plants and their problems. I kill them too fast to become friendly. I plant a lot outdoors though because in my climate I can.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image