Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have these little white eggs all over my pepper plants. Some have white eggs with little black bugs and others look like little black eggs. The white ones seem to cover everything on the plants, but the black eggs only seem to be on the underside of the leaf. My pepper plants are sitting right next to other plants, yet the eggs and bugs are only messing with the pepper plants. Does anyone know what these are and how to prevent them? Naturally?

Photo 1

Photo 2

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Jan 25th, 2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Photos exceed 640x480. Photos can be re-sized in your Photobucket account easily before posting by clicking the "edit" button above your photo.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
These do look like white flies to me or something similar. There are very effective organic insecticidal soaps that I think I would try first thing. Are these in your greenhouse? I would look and keep watch of all other plants in there. Even if they show no signs now of infestation, the problem may go looking for new homes if you make this one inhospitable.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Hi thanks! They are in a greenhouse. There is also lettuce and tomato plants but these bugs only seem to infest the peppers. The greenhouse is also a hydroponic greenhouse.

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
These do look like white flies to me or something similar. There are very effective organic insecticidal soaps that I think I would try first thing. Are these in your greenhouse? I would look and keep watch of all other plants in there. Even if they show no signs now of infestation, the problem may go looking for new homes if you make this one inhospitable.

Add to Tina's post.

See the following links:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/VEGES/peppers.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/T/I-HO-TVAP-AD.010.html

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Very cool info, Papito. It looks like my insecticidal soap may not be the best answer except where it may dislodge the flies. It is funny because I've been using it for years on a few problem plants ant it works for me. I only have a problem on singular plants every few years.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image