Print Thread
Rate Thread
#29755 Apr 24th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
zoinkThe weather here has been crazy this year & my garden has just finally dried out enough to let me get in. Because of the forcast rains I just planted my spinach & onions yesterday.--I also replanted a tri-colored sage plant (old one froze) and vidalia onion plants--those for the first time.--My greenhouse lady promised me it was ok (?) to go ahead & still plant spinach & all would be well. I think I am going to wait with the rest of it. My dad had to replant tomatoes he lost in the cold snap we had & I don't want to be caught in that position. What anybody think?? :/

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
When is your frost date? I lost a flat of cucumber seedlings last year to frost, I could of cried.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
I certainly do agree with the crazy weather comment. I live in Va. (zone 7)and it has been so cold here this spring. I planted some Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and Collard Greens a few weeks ago and the Sat.before easter I had four inches of snow. The plants were damaged somewhat, mostly the large leaves died back, but there is new growth coming up, so I have my fingers crossed. I also planted sweet onions and believe they should do alright.
I agree with your greenhouse lady, the spinach should be ok.

Budman #30001 Apr 24th, 2007 at 09:33 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Spinach, lettuce radishes these are cool weather crops and they grow well about this time.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
about my frost date: Supposedly may 1st. or there abouts--I usually wait until around Mother's day or at least may 5th.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, that's early. Ours is around June 15th.

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
I shoot for Memorial Weekend..
(and by the looks of my plans this year,
it may be Memorial Weekend of 2008 to get my plants in by!!!) rolz boohoo :wink: lol

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
lol@weezie

I've got my tomatoes and green onions out there hardening off. When I get some energy I'll get out there and plant them but not today. I'm blah.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm getting ready for a second planting, this time sweet potatoes and peanuts. My sweet peas didn't produce, and the mustard greens, lettuce and spinach were good while they lasted.

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Save me some sweet potatoes please lol.

I got out there and planted 4 of the sweet william tomatoes and 2 of the egyptian walking onions. there are still more to plant but it's hot out there.

[Linked Image]
I think it is pretty close on the onions being they are vidalia but it should be okay. It is almost May. The spinach will be fine. I live in zone 3/4 and I am planting peas, carrots, radish, sweet peas, this weekend and potatoes as soon as they come and onions when those come. Around here onions and potatoes are being sold and planted and it is colder than Illinois. And the sage will be fine. Mine has been out for a couple weeks (I brought it in for winter).

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well today I bought a cherokee tomato and a large cherry (actually the name)tomato to plant---but I think it is just too early---so they will live next to my house under a roofed porch for a week or so. I hate to buy so early but if one waits it seems they get the left-overs. I think I will plant a bush cucumber or 2 also. I have brought in my chives when I moved, but how do I bring in my sage?

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Today I planted another 4 sweet william tomatoes. I didn't want them to die in the pot. So when my friend comes over we will just have to transplant again. These tomato plants look scraggly. Does anyone grow this variety?

I brought some of my sage in last year and it over wintered in the house very well. Although it didn't go dormant so I harvested several times. The one I left outside did go dormant and is now much smaller than it's brothers. I don't know if that will have any affect on the longevity of the plant or not.

I also planted the last of the Egyptian Walking Onions. And I also found new growth growing on my carnation. This will be it's third year so I am very confused. I had dug it up intending to toss it when I saw the new growth so I replanted it and will hope for the best. I thought they died after second year?

Probably tomorrow I'll get out there and plant more of the white radishes.

My spinach died. Grrrrh. I have the most difficult time with spinach and lettuce.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'd love to be in my garden already, but though the top soil is dry underneath it's too wet yet.

I guess hearing about everyone's garden is getting me a bit anxious to get in as well. Good luck to all of you.

Sorry to hear of your spinach and lettuce tkhooper.
Usually those two are quite easy to grow. I really wonder what's happening to yours?

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'll assume damp off. Although I really can't be sure. They just sprouted and then stopped growing for several weeks and then died.

One lettuce is still hanging in there.

I did go out in the garden this morning while it was raining just to look around. The transplants seemed to be enjoying the rain.

I need to do a bunch of weeding today if I get up the energy.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hope all you can get some growing again.

I've got a small spot where I could start my lettuce and spinach, but since I fell last week and hurt my tail bone, I've haven't been able to get done what I'd like to do. It's getting better, so maybe I'll get something done next week.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, Rosepetal. I feel for you. I broke my tail bone when I was younger. Hurt worst than labour pains.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Ouchie, That isn't the place to have an owwwwie. I'm sorry your hurt and I hope it heals completely and soon.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Boy you said it tamara, labour pains are over in a while. This pain is there with every move. I can finally bend over pretty good, but sitting is horrible.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image