Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#295780 Sep 20th, 2009 at 06:16 PM
sdojahn Offline OP
OP Offline
click here for photo

Please help. I have 8 juniper bushes like this all planted in planters that have truned this brown color within the past 2 weeks. I live in West Texas where we have an arid dry climate. I have been watering them roughly once a week. any suggestions?

Steven

Last edited by Jiffymouse; Sep 20th, 2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: made link clickable
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Your link is not working. But from your description I would tell you to look closely at the plants for pests. Is the bark loose and flakes off? If it does is there anything scurrying away under there? Is there any visible critters under the soil surface if you move some around?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #296860 Oct 7th, 2009 at 04:12 AM
If there is no pest damage, you may need to water more frequently and mulch, especially if the junipers are/were located in airy locations or if the sun warms the potting container a lot. During June-August, I have to water more than once a week.

Kinda looks like it's D-E-A-D.
[Linked Image]
Next time you get one in a pot like that, set it into a well-soaked hole ASAP, and baby it for the rest of the season. It's really vulnerable while in a pot where just forgetting to water it only a week could kill it.

Once a juniper gets established, it's pretty drouth-proof, but give it a chance to overcome transplant shock.

Ditto what luis said.

Also check the dimensions of the shrub at maturity (in the plant's label). The place where you took the picture seems too small for some junipers.

1k Posts
1k Posts
when in the pot like that at the nursery, they water daily due to quick drying in the sun.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image