Print Thread
Rate Thread
#299796 Nov 9th, 2009 at 09:45 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I received this from a nurse at one of our high schools.

Hello my fellow colleagues-
Beware of kids chewing Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds to get high. Please look it up on line. I had a child come see me last week who initially said he had food poisoning and didn't fess up until he began throwing up in my trash can.
He presented very pale and grayish and sweating PROFUSELY. After he fessed up I took his vitals (mom was already on the way) and found his B/P high and his pulse erratic and pulse ox at 95%. I called EMS. He went to the hospital and was released later that afternoon. Mom told me that the ER said it did affect his EKG and that is why they kept him until that afternoon.
This is legal and something you can buy online as well as any place that sells flower seeds.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thank you, Sheri. I did look them up. What kids can get into.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #299849 Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Thanks Sheri.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #299873 Nov 10th, 2009 at 04:48 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
She found out that this student got them from a friend who got them at a head shop called Infinity's End in Charlotte. That store has been there since I was in high school. It's not illegal to buy or sell this stuff. Morning glory seeds is another thing their using to get high.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have a whole pound of morning glory seeds. shock I'm glad my teens don't know it.
But it also makes me wonder if I was put on some kind of watch list when I ordered them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #299875 Nov 10th, 2009 at 05:33 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
But it also makes me wonder if I was put on some kind of watch list when I ordered them.

....that's why I harvest my own. devil lol

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
O there lies the problem.

rolz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Tina #299898 Nov 11th, 2009 at 06:57 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
I have a whole pound of morning glory seeds. shock I'm glad my teens don't know it.

[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
haha haha haha

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Mmmm! these Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seed muffins sprinkled with Morning Glory seeds are gonna be Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet I sale a TON of them at the church bake sale!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #299955 Nov 12th, 2009 at 02:25 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I just feel I have to say this, but no one has to agree...i'm sorry if I upset anyone.

There are a ton of plants out there that you can get high off of, and many are ornamental. Some like cannabis, salvia divinorum, and brugmansia, datura are more well known, but truth of the matter is, you can hold up a salvia divinorum up to a druggie and they won't know what it is (unless its dried and cut). The city plants flowering tobacco (N. sylvestris) in its display beds, and no one has a clue they're tobacco. cases pop up every now and then of some kid doing _____ and word spreads and everyone panics. there will also be soemone who says "let's make it illegal to grow" and tries to push for a law. as important as it is to be aware of the new 'drug' trends in teens, it is perhaps even more important to know that not every teen will try it. in theory you can smoke petunias, iochroma, and potato leaves for the atropine, but honestly, there aren't many teens out there who will even think that petunias are a type of nightshade.

the only thing i'm trying to say is trust your teens, and be optimistic. i know friends whose parents checked their bags everyday for drugs (and mind you these were great friends, straight A students and went to church every week) when their parents heard from a friend that a friend of a friend's son got high off _____... and eventually one of them felt so mistrusted that he just went and smoke everything he could buy and ended up ion the hospital. im not lying. all because their parent heard from a friend that a friend of a friend...:@

most drugs/ethnobotanicals/physoactive plants were used religiously (as in for religion and not constantly) and have been around for a long time. as for morning glory seeds, they've been used for thousands of years in south america by the incans and mayans for religious ceremonies. besides with all the hybridizing that goes on in today's trade, most plants have lost their vigour and the strenght of their drugs. There's a site called Erwoid or something similar where people share their experience about using different plants to get high. You'll see there are more people that tried it and said never again than people who said they'd do it again. please don't panic. you can try to hide all you want, but there will always be something new that teens discover then can smoke. i'm sorry, but i've been seeing warnings about teens using plants to get high pop up everywhere (not to say they're not true) and i've had so many friends come up and ask why their parents get all anxious when they're in the yard. i had a friend yesterday come up to me to say their mom (whom i shared a brug and datura seeds two years ago and had the most amazing bed of daturas i've ever seen) didn't need him to rake leaves this year and asked me why she all of a sudden was ripping out all the night flowers and burnt them (they're night flowers because they open at night...daturas!)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #299966 Nov 12th, 2009 at 05:31 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
These are good points, Kenny and oh so true. Talking to your kids about stuff is an important thing to do. But trust is the most important thing you can give your kids. And that is from memories.....

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #299992 Nov 12th, 2009 at 09:39 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
In light of the discussion here, I am so saddened by what this country has come to - I was buying some dayquil/nightquil for Brian today because he's been home sick for 2 days and asked me to pick some up for him. When it came time for the cashier to scan the double package, he said he had to see my driver's license. THIS is because some kids had decided that they could use one of the ingredients to get high a few years ago. So now they had to scan MY license in order for me to buy cold medicine legally. WOW! The kid cashier said "it's the law - even if my 96 year old grandmother wanted to buy it, I'd have to scan her license too"! I'm sorry, but I find that ridiculous! How many 96 year olds do you know who still have a driver's license?!?

I know... that isn't the point, but it's very sad that we've come to this...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have on better for you all.

My 29 year old DD had a cold or something a few weeks ago. I took her to a store to buy some OTC drugs for it. since she was not feeling well, she thought she might as well buy something to cover a few symptoms that might come up---well the pharmasist told her that she was not allowed to buy all of the medications that she had in her hand.--so they put back each one until the sale would/could go thru. But sure she could come back tomorrow & get the rest...rolz...I agree it is sad what this country has come to.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Kenny you are so right. Not every teen is crazy enough to try something without knowing what will happen. My title does sort of sound like that's what I meant. A lot of adults are into drugs as well as teens. Two of the grown men who work for my husband are crack addicted. They spend almost their entire paycheck each weekend on crack and never have lunch money on Monday. One lives in a hotel and moves each week when it's time to pay up and the other lives in a room of a woman's house. His car broke about a month ago and he doesn't have the money to fix it. These are 35 year old men without wives or families to support who are making $25.00 an hour. They should have lunch money on Monday. It's a shame.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image