Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#291611 Aug 4th, 2009 at 06:09 PM
RUEHL Offline OP
OP Offline
I live in Arizona and have a large Aloe plant that is in a 20 lb pot out in my yard. I really have trouble managing how much to water it. I usually water it twice a week thoroughly drenching it and letting it dry up a few days before I water it again. It sits in direct sun all day and recently the plants all started turning purple and are almost mushy, not solid like they should be (or green for that matter). This seems to happen off and on. Does it have something to do with watering it too often or the extreme heat and sunlight this time of year? How often should I be watering it? I really do not want to lose this plant as it was doing soo well. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

RUEHL #291613 Aug 4th, 2009 at 06:35 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I live in the extreme heat of Tx and I have my aloe in the shade maybe it gets a little morning sun if any,, I rarely water it because it stores water in it's leaves * Most succulents will*
I'm afraid you may have over watered thus the softness of the leaves,, and too much direct sunlight will turn it a deep reddish color, I'd let it dry out completely and place it in the shade.

Good Luck

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #298836 Oct 28th, 2009 at 07:41 PM
Hi,
I live in NJ, and I only put outside my aloe in summer. And I NEVER put it on the sun, because its became purple and mushy when I leave it on the sun. So its not the water. If U live in arizona its very dry there so the plant nead the water , but try to put it into a shade!
I was confused before, because I always read the aloe nead sun , full sun actually, and my aloes always died on the full sun.

Last edited by kati72; Oct 28th, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
kati72 #298927 Oct 29th, 2009 at 03:47 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
aloe should be kept in unglazed clay pots and the soil should be something that is extremely well-draining.

the sun is in a lower position in the sky during winter and can actually be much more intense than during the summer months.

that said, some aloe do just fine in full sunlight - and will turn pretty shades of red to purple and others don't change color at all. it's basically up to you if you want to shade it or not - the color change shouldn't hurt it's growth at all, so, you can leave it as is.

you may need to provide some shading if the intense light seems to be hurting it, though.

the mushiness sounds like purely an overwatering issue. the sunlight wouldn't do that.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,872
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image