Rate Thread
#298897 Oct 29th, 2009 at 08:30 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Well it is that time of year again... time to prepare for Christmas Pageant! As many of these as I have done, I can't quite believe I have just agreed to do another one. Again.

In years past I have had the daunting tasks of .... writing, directing, producing, convincing, costume making, props, choral teaching & directing, rehearsals, advertising, convincing, narrating, etc., all by myself with children who've never stepped foot in public before! yikes

This time, however, I am doing it for a church with a long pageant tradition already in place! YAY! They even have costumes!!

All I have to do this time is.... evaluate the children (ages 2 to 22), assign roles, teach stage direction, hold rehearsals and narrate!

Piece of cake!

Except for the fact that this pageant is being held at THE cathedral -- a very sophisticated, elegant place that is sorta the flagship of the Episcopal Churches in Maine.

So there is an expectation of... flawlessness!

Oh I can't believe I've agreed to do this again...it is always such a headache!
Oh I can't wait to do this again...it is always such fun!

lol

Anybody else here whacky enough to get involved in Pageants?

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Oct 29th, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #298915 Oct 29th, 2009 at 01:51 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I was involved in our churches (what we called) "The children's Christmas Service" it was a Pageant put on by the Sunday School children ("extra" children came out of the woodowrk in late November to attend Sunday School so as to be part of the X-mas Eve Service & play.

I taught Sunday School from the time my youngest was 18 months old up to and including her senior year of High School. And as such I was part of the "planning, production & rehersals of these plays. We would alternate which one we chose from year to year, but as there are not that many different ways to tell the Christmas Story, eventually had all of the costumes & "props" that we needed, for each play to be completely & properly "dressed".

I was also in the choir all of those years and we helped the SS children with their production each year. The choir sang some of the more "involved" songs in each story.

I truely miss that time.......

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #298916 Oct 29th, 2009 at 01:56 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts

I believe you can pull that of with no problem, Merme! thumbup

I taught sunday School from the time my youngest was 18 months old up to and including her senior year of High School.

...first thought that came to my mind when I read that was teach "Note to Self...don't cuss so much when talking to people on the phone". blush

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
afgreyparrot #298922 Oct 29th, 2009 at 02:12 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot

[quote]
...first thought that came to my mind when I read that was teach "Note to Self...don't cuss so much when talking to people on the phone". blush

haha haha OH MY Word!!!! Not to worry at all..... kissie haha haha

________

afgreyparrot #298958 Oct 29th, 2009 at 08:11 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot

I believe you can pull that of with no problem, Merme! thumbup

Thank you, Ninja Cindy. kissie

Carol Jean isn't there a certain madcap delight with Christmas Pageants? lol I am so enamored of them, I will try Church pageants for any season. whacked, I know....

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #298962 Oct 29th, 2009 at 08:16 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

Carol Jean isn't there a certain madcap delight with Christmas Pageants? lol I am so enamored of them, I will try Church pageants for any season. whacked, I know....Merme

Yes it is a good time indeed--I just loved them---but then I love the whole season....

________

JunieGirl #299660 Nov 7th, 2009 at 01:40 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Well, Maxi has agreed to be a Roman slave. His friend Tyr is going to be a Medieval knight. His little brother, I am hoping to convince to be Pan or Bacchus. And we hope Dom will be a Celtic priest.

I have got to get up to the church next week and encourage the young people to think up clever ideas for countries and eras they might wish to represent.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #299786 Nov 8th, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
sounds like things are moving along well, merme--good luck !!

________

JunieGirl #301175 Dec 5th, 2009 at 07:39 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
This morning I had a brainstorm for a costume for the pageant. I am going to ask Maxi's friend Dom to dress as a "wealthy man". If he wears his nice suit, I could stash Monopoly money all over him... coming out of his collar, his cuffs, his pockets.... Maxi thinks it would be cool if we got him fake glasses and drew $ on the lenses. So now I gotta ask Dom.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #301218 Dec 5th, 2009 at 10:10 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
sounds good--and I like that maxi is interested.

Good luck with that

________

JunieGirl #301232 Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We had a big rehearsal today. yikes

The kids were wonderful for me, just wonderful! Most of them have no experience on stage of any kind and yet they sang their hearts out and performed just beautifully on the walk through.

Had a few bad moments with PARENTS however. shock I think I turned gray with a few moms, bless them.

Next week is dress rehearsal; the week after, the Pageant. So, we are on a roll. This week I will make headgear and crowns and also the Star of Bethlehem. I gotta swipe a bit of hay from somewhere for the basket "manger" and remember a couple of crates for the Angel & Star to stand on.

Because I have no stamina at the moment and I sincerely doubt I could stand for the entire length of the pageant and because I can't get good deep breaths to project my voice, I asked a young fellow at church (who got his degree in theatrical arts) if he would do the narration for us? He was happy to agree.

Since I do not yet have a surgery date, I am just playing all this by ear. I am hoping to have the other adults completely up to speed on the pageant in case I can't make it.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Dec 6th, 2009 at 12:53 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #301253 Dec 6th, 2009 at 07:38 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
sounds like things are rolling right along, merme---I will pray that you are able to make it to the pageant.

________

JunieGirl #301332 Dec 8th, 2009 at 03:36 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I had a meeting today with the Dean of the Cathedral. He is BRILLIANT and creative!

I've noticed that the teens of the church are rebelling against the new pageant. I had planned to have teens dress as various career people but nobody wants to cooperate. So the Dean suggested that instead of having teens dress as doctors, lawyers, artists, bankers, cops, etc., why don't I just ask the adults who already are those things to participate?

That was a stroke of genius on his part! We have a cardiac surgeon who could simply wear his OR scrubs or his white lab coat. We have an artist who could wear her smock and carry a palate.

So I've been emailing and on the phone and these folks are great! One of our talented stitchers is putting together a group of ladies representing hand crafts and I told them the sky is the limit in terms of what they wear as long as people can look at them and know what they are/do.

This is going to be fun. And if any teen still wants to join in, there is room... the more the merrier I always say!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #301634 Dec 15th, 2009 at 05:33 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
My Harley was in a Pagant this year to for our
Homecoming She is the one with 5 on her

[Linked Image]

This is her n my grandson

[Linked Image]

bettyboop1948 #301735 Dec 19th, 2009 at 06:48 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Oh, Harley is lovely! You must be so proud!!

Tomorrow is our Pageant Day. I have about 100 million things to do before then AND they are forecasting a big snow tonight which will make it tough for everyone to get there tomorrow.

Tonight two of Maxi's friends are staying over here because they are in the pageant also. We leave at 7:30 AM to get to town early enough to start dressing everyone.

Maxi is portraying our Roman Slave. His friend Tyr is our Medieval Knight. And his friend Dominic is our Martial Artist.

We are all pretty excited.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #303930 Jan 26th, 2010 at 12:09 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
up

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image