Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#298762 Oct 27th, 2009 at 07:16 PM
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
it's been forever since i posted- happy to be back bop I have moved into a new house and with this house comes a ginormous lilac bush/tree- or at least, that's what i'm told it is. It's very very tall and wide and growing over my fence into my neighbor's yard. At the moment, it has these small dark purplish berries on it- which the birds love, which is great because it keeps my cat entertained from the window, but not so great because she wants to escape outside cat Before I forget to mention- the leaves looked incredibly unhappy and spotty before the weather got colder. Like there was mildew or some sort of disease issue.
So- leading to my question/questions: is it a lilac bush? If it is I never realized they grew berries.
Also, what is the best way to prune something that large and overgrown? It doesn't do much for the space of the yard- it grows over the sidewalk and i don't think the neighbors are in love with it. My dad thinks I can level it completely and it will still come back. I'd love a lilac bush (and i have one from the Arbor Day foundation- but it's still a very small stick- which I am fine with) but I don't want something that massive.
Any ideas on how to take care of this?

Thanks!

lilitu #298791 Oct 28th, 2009 at 05:22 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
lilacs can have berries, so it may be a lilac bush. They can get quite large as well. The best time to prune a lilac is right after it blooms because if you wait until fall/winter, you will be cutting off many of next years blooms. However, if it simply must be pruned now, you'll get more blooms the year after next. BTW, you should never prune more than 1/3 of it's size.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,874
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image