Rate Thread
#297577 Oct 12th, 2009 at 07:25 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Time to start a new Thread grin

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/277979/nt/3/fpart/1

Here it is October,, and my Brugs are just now Blooming vastly as they should have been a couple of months ago,, But it's been so Hot and dry here zoink Finally we've had rain, rain ,rain,, No more spider mites they were horrible this past summer,, but with buckets of rain and cooler temps the spider mites are few and far between and the Brugs are Happy! grin

Unnamed Pink almost 10 foot tall well above the 7 ft fence, & to the right you'll see a smaller brug,, it is supposed to be Dr, suess BUT it's looks primarily white So I believe it may have been label wrong boohoo

[Linked Image]

Adora

[Linked Image]

Snowcone
[Linked Image]

I've had to cut then all back except for the tallest Unnamed Pink due to the problems with Spider mites Most of them I had to cut back twice and remove all infected branches and leaves,, but they have finally rewarded me and didn't give up! grin

Continues Next post :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #297578 Oct 12th, 2009 at 07:29 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Continued from above..

And Good Ol' Charles Bounced back He had to be severely cut back twice the spider mites almost "took Him" shock But he's pulling thru like a champ! clap

[Linked Image]

as the supposed Dr. Seuss Opens More I will get another Picture however unfortunately I really Don't believe it's a Dr. Seuss now boohoo boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #297600 Oct 12th, 2009 at 01:48 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi angelblossom, your yard must be beautiful at the moment. Glad you have had some good rains. What colour are the Dr Seuss brugs supposed to be?

Also, what do spider mites look like? I have had some extremely tiny critters inside some of my flowers, and I don't know what they are (but they don't seem to do much damage). I have also had some little critters that make web- like structures on another plant, from which I assume the young insects hatch, but they don't seem to be any sort of spider.

Eternity
stevie_g #297606 Oct 12th, 2009 at 02:56 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
stevie, the plants with the webbing on them are infested with spider mites. they're very, very tiny and aren't visible to the eye - only way to know they're there is by the webs (which are just strings, not fancy like the webs spiders make). mist/spray with water with a drop or two of dish soap in it and repeat the misting every few days - they don't like moisture.

diane, that unnamed pink is absolutely FABULOUS!!! i didn't realize these could get so large!! the snow cone is striking, it's so white!! and i love the color of the adora!!

i know you love that charles, so glad it survived the mites! if you think the one was mis-marked, what do you think it is, if it's not the dr seuss??

Zone 6b
Joclyn #297630 Oct 12th, 2009 at 07:04 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi Joclyn, thanks for that info about the spider mites. It sounds like I did kind of the right thing with them, as I did wash away the webbing when I saw it. I haven't used soap, though- mite try that next time (mite, ha ha). Come to think of it, that plant was struggling for a while.

Anyway, I agree with your comments about angelblossom's brugs; at the moment I'm not growing brugs, so it's nice to enjoy someone else's flowers. Just missing out on the scent!

Eternity
stevie_g #297798 Oct 14th, 2009 at 04:13 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Stevie and Joclyn grin Good advice about the spider mites!
When it gets hot and dry here spider mites Love that weather boohoo

I have No idea what the Dr, Seuss might be,, I did look up Dr. seuss,, and I DID see a few that were a more creamy color , but I still don't know what it could be,, I probably never will, I have no way of contacting the person that sent it to me, boohoo but it smells very good,, grin .
maybe next year it will mature more and have some color?? why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #297855 Oct 14th, 2009 at 01:57 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I think white is one of the most beautiful colours for flowers anyway. You are so lucky to live in a climate where you can easily grow brugs!

Eternity
stevie_g #297902 Oct 15th, 2009 at 04:23 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Stevie,, I do like white flowers as well,, they look so crisp No matter the back ground, grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane! Don planted Charles for me today! I decided to put him on the other side of the pond this year, as he got too big for the spot on the right side. He is next to the arbor bench this time, and I'll have to cut him back so he fits in that spot as summer progresses, but I can't wait to see him grow back his leaves that the spider mites all killed while he was wintering inside again.

Here he is, naked from the spider mites but ready to grow! thumbup
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Oh, So wonderful, Lynne.

You are one very lucky lady. It must really make you smile when you look ouside & see all of that beauty. It must be so calming as well.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #316058 May 2nd, 2010 at 09:40 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yeaaaah! You'll have new leafs before you know it ! I can't say it enough times,, I'm soooooooo glad Charles has bought you many blooms year after year,, I've got to go get a picture of my Charles,, Daddy to your's,, I just uncovered it a couple of weeks ago,, It not tall but has many leaves already
BRB!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
continued from above

Here is the daddy to yours Lynne :wink:

[Linked Image]

here is the snowcone,, beside it is the passion flower vine you sent a couple of years ago,, I wish it would Bloom,, grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
It's all looking VERY good Diane! I might ask you for a cutting back on the passionflower vine one day - mine is long gone, but I'm not sure I want to grow it again... hmmmmmm!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
okay Lynne No Problem just say the word and I'll send it !

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #322429 Jun 23rd, 2010 at 09:29 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
DIANE!!! LOOKIE LOOKIE!!!
Just 1 1/2 months after being planted outside, Charles has 3 buds already! I'm so excited - this is early for him, so I'm hoping to get a few more rounds of blooms from him this year! thumbup

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WOW I can't believe it's almost a year now, and we just got my brugs outside by the pond! Here is Adora - all my plants in the basement got a bad case of spider mites this year, and are just beginning to grow new leaves. Charles isn't doing so well, as he got totally eaten by the mites - we still need to plant him in the ground, but he's so huge that Don has to do it for me.

Adora on her first day outside this year. There's lots of sticky sap on the pot and plant from the mites, but hopefully that will subside as she sits in the sun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #355393 Mar 31st, 2012 at 12:52 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Lynne sent me some brug starts several months ago,,, they rooted in water,, leaved out but some has since lost their leaves tho they have lots of roots. I've had them in water all these months,, I also got a cutting from a past coworker From a brug I had given them,, I'm praying they all take to the ground now that the boys and I have planted them finally!!!,, Keeping my fingers crossed I will once again have wonderful brugs in my yard! grin ( BTW If I had known we wouldn't have had a freeze the last month in Feb I would have already planted these boohoo earlier

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #355800 Apr 15th, 2012 at 01:11 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
They are getting stronger with all this rain we've had,, I've gotten them all mixed up now don't know which ones are charles grimaldi, adora, or the white ones a past co worker gave me why I know eventually I will have to separate these as they will be close together but for now, I put them all here to give them strength and full sun light and let them grow .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image