Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#289228 Jul 11th, 2009 at 03:20 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

I bought a few Endless Summer Hydrangeas this early spring. I treated them with a half dose of Holly Tone, and Tree Tone when I planted them. They've grown really fast so far. Some of my blooms are a very rich blue, some are light blue, and others seem like a washed out light blue/lavender. Is there anything I can do to get more of those bold rich blue blooms? Thanks for any help, Im so new at this!

The acidity in the soil will impact the color. When your soil is alkaline, the flowers will tend to turn shades of pink. When the soil is acidic, the plant is able to absorb aluminum more easily and this will turn the blooms blue. Right now, most of the roots are growing in the soil that came in the pot and it is that soil's alkalinity/acidity that is affecting the blooms. As the roots grow into your garden's soil next year then the alkalinity/acidity of your soil will begin to affect the color of the blooms.

If your soil is alkaline, try adding some aluminum sulphate per label directions. If your soil is acidic, you will not need to tweak the soil. A soil pH meter that gives readings in digits is best for measuring soil alkalinity and acidity. A soil pH of 6.2-6.5 or less will usually trigger blue blooms.

Note that, when your soil is normally alkaline, amended acidic soil tends to revert back to its original pH if you stop amending with aluminum sulphate so you need to amend basically forever. During winter, you can stop amending when the ground freezes or is covered with snow.

Normal applications are of 1 tbsp per gallon of water every other week but see what your a/s package recommends. Since the product contains sulphur, this can burn the roots if you apply too much so do not over apply.

Hydrangeas need very little fertilizers so apply 1/2 cup of cottonseed meal, compost or manure in June (for the whole year). This year, you probably did not need any as the potting medium probably contained those round nursery fertilizer pellets.

Last edited by luis_pr; Sep 28th, 2009 at 04:13 AM.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i have a nikko blue that has flowers that have changed colors over the years. as the roots become established and grow through the soil, they hit soil with different acidity levels...not much you can do about it either since treating the soil, as luis suggested, will only go so far into it...

so, i stopped bothering with it years ago. now i get whatever i get. the past couple years, i've had a combination of flower colors on various parts of the bush - pinks, blues, lavendars and they vary from intense color to very pale. the bush looks quite beautiful with all the different color flowers on it - which i didn't think i'd like (really wanted them to be lavendar). it really makes a nice statement though!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image