Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
whytman Offline OP
OP Offline
HELP!! complete newbie here!

around 2 weeks ago i bought a small flowering potted plant (i named WHITEY) from a stall in the mall because i got really bored... now im pretty much attached to it.

The thing is, i dont even know whats called! the lady in the story (unsociable as she was) called it "Malaysian".

Anyway it looks like this plant here...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
thats how whitey really looks like on the first day... bad camera... sorry

The plant is pretty small the biggest flower is at around 1.5 inches across. The thing is, I live in a Concrete condo in Manila, Philippines and i placed the plant on top of my desk thats pretty close to the window (no direct sunlight though.)
Basically, what happened to it was it had a lot of buds when i got it... but most of the buds turned brown by the end of the 2nd week... i cut off all of the brown buds figuring they rotted as well as the dead leaves i could find.

i dont know if i should transfer her to a different pot, water her more, fertilize or put her where the sun is... PLEASE HELP SAVE WHITEY! :(

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Daisy? the first photo is .

Most blooms need sun.. DOnt over water.......
Where was it when you bought it / ? Sun or lights or what ?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I believe your plant is a chrysanthemum or mum as most people call it. dodge is right, they need lots of light. these are not very good houseplants, and they do eventually die off.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Whitey is a chrysanthemum. I'd bet the farm that Whitey is seriously root-bound. So no matter how much you water him, his roots are drying out.

If you want to try to bring him back-- and you can! he might even bloom again-- repot him in a bigger pot with good potting soil. When you're repotting him, tease apart his roots, and don't worry if you break some. Snip off all of the flowers and flower buds if there are any. Sprinkle some slow release fertilizer on top of the soil. Water very well, and then let the soil dry out a little. Thorough waterings once a week or so are better than shallow watering ever day or two.

If you can plant Whitey outside in the ground, that would be great.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marcia's advice is great. I agree Whitey is a mum and they are usually grown outdoors or in a greenhouse (before going to a florist or mall). They do need a lot of light, so you might have a hard time getting it to bloom again indoors (without putting under gro-lights of some type). Outdoor plants or those that were in greenhouses, often go into shock when they are moved into your house, because the air in your house is much drier, and maybe also warmer, and probably it's getting less light, too. So it is quite possible that Whitey will lose many leaves while it is adjusting to being in your house. As long as you see some new leaves coming in, there is still hope. :) You can repot him in a larger pot (like Marcia said) in a potting soil and water thoroughly once a week (let it run out the bottom) and give as much light and humidity as possible. After Whitey gets done blooming, he won't have flowers again until the spring. If you keep him alive thru the winter, then start fertilizing him in the spring, with a product that is meant for flowering plants. If Whitey were my plant, I would put him outside either now or in the spring, in a sunny spot. If you don't have a garden you can use a big planter. Mums can survive the winter outside and come back next year, depending on where you live.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I never heard of mums blooming in the spring in zone 5......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
me either Barb, but then I am in zone 6

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
i've never heard of them blooming in the spring, but they will naturally bloom in the summer unless you pinch the buds (usually no later than July 1) here

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image