Print Thread
Rate Thread
#295532 Sep 17th, 2009 at 08:00 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
madd So sorry but I must rant because I find this UNBELIEVABLE! I just found out the if we do not let our auto insurance company do automatic withdrawal payments from our bank account, we are hit with a $5 fee for them to generate a paper bill each time! I do NOT chose automatic payments because it makes it hard for me to keep track of it all in my check register - call me old school, but that's the way I am accustomed to, and like it. JEEEZE!

Does it really cost them $5 for each bill to be printed and mailed? If so, I'd like that job - imagine how much I could earn with all those bills! I understand that this is "progress", but I don't think that fee is reasonable! uhuhh tapfoot rspb

and while I'm at it - how about my credit card company that charges $9 to pay a bill over the phone??? madd Not gonna happen - I get in my car and drive it over to the bank each month while doing other errands - again - JEEEEZE! nono

For those of you who do chose automatic payments, how do you keep all your deductions organized so you know what your account balance is at any given time?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #295533 Sep 17th, 2009 at 08:30 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Boy do I understand your rant! It's bull hockey.

We have done auto-deduction a couple of times on services like Napster or something. A complete disaster. Never again. My recommendation is to NEVER use your bank account for auto-deduct, exactly for the reasons PnP said above. Plus the problems with getting companies to STOP deducting after you terminate the service.

If you have to use auto-deduct or whatever so you don't get hit with stupid fees, use a credit card with a low limit, then pay the credit card off on a monthly basis, just as you would had paid the original bill. Another advantage to this is that banking laws (i.e., your ATM card) and credit laws differ. My understanding is that if you dispute a credit card charge, the credit card can stop the payment until the issue is resolved. The company doesn't get the money. On the other hand, if you use a bank card, and dispute a charge, the money's already gone from your account. When you dispute the charge, a bank can only get the money back. It cannot stop payment.

American Express is also good about disputed charges.

And for the same reasons above, someone once explained to me why you should never use your bank card for internet or phone orders. The money's gone. If you don't get what you thought you were buying, a credit card payment can be stopped.

That said, we don't use credit cards any more. And talk about old school, we used to pay bills on line. We don't do that anymore either. We pay by check-- or pay in person locally.

Whew-- you've got me all worked up now! hope you can figure something out. Some of this stuff is just criminal.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
plants 'n pots #295536 Sep 17th, 2009 at 08:42 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have auto payments on a couple of things, health insurance and home insurance. But the other three I pay by check, auto insurance and phone and electricity. That is it for bills for me. Twice a year or less I order propane. That is a check. I have a good idea of my balance at all times. I can cal my bank and get updated info pretty easily.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #295537 Sep 17th, 2009 at 08:53 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
I can also get that information readily online, Tina, but I like to have it in front of me in my check register also. That is the one place where I know everything that I or Don has spent on bills.

I agree with what you have said also, Marica, about using a credit card verses a bank card for payments. We rarely order over the internet, but when we do, we always use Don's company credit card. We just do not feel comfortable giving anyone who we don't know online, our personal information via credit cards.

The thing that got my dander up today, is that in all the previous phone calls I've had with this auto insurance company, I was always told that there was a $5 charge for paying my bill over the phone!!! I was NEVER before told that the $5 charge was for them generating a paper bill and mailing it to my house!!! I've been hit up with this charge for a couple of years now - ever since our original auto insurance company sold our policy to another company - as they all like to do! Yes, I chose to continue paying over the phone for my convenience but this reason just does not sit well with me! The woman today could not apologize enough for the misinformation I've been given all along - I just find it hard to believe that I was always given the same story and now she is saying that that was never true?

Plus I resent being FORCED by these companies to do my banking over the internet at their disposal. In this economy, not everyone can afford to pay that extra $5 or $9 a month for the security of knowing that their payment was made correctly!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #295538 Sep 17th, 2009 at 09:02 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Lynne I also prefer to have my account balances at an easy glance in my register. And I have several automatic payments. They are set up to be the same date every month. So, on that date, I simply deduct the payment from my register as though I had written a check & write in "auto pay" & the name of the company.

I've never messed up my account because of auto deducts.

Does your insurance have a quarterly payment option? That might be easier/less expensive to contend with.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #295540 Sep 17th, 2009 at 09:59 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I resent being "forced" to do anything I don't want to do! Imagine-- some folks find me hard to deal with! haha

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #295547 Sep 17th, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Marica, I am with you on that one.
My favorite hate..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Marica #295548 Sep 17th, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well I do internet bill pay with my credit union- never had a problem with it...i don't use debit cards to pay bills on the net though- will use a credit card if I order something...
I keep track of auto payments by writing them in the 1st payday of the month, , my phone,internet and direct tv is an auto pay that way... rest I pay with bill pay ... rarely write a check anymore...my car insurance actually gives me a discount if I pay online in full- usually about $10. I get most of my bills on line too... except our trash company , they send a paper bill cause their website throws me out when I try to use it... do I pay them with bill pay too.... never had a problem .I get reminders for the credit card sites when payments are due.... works for me cause I don't like to drive very much and I check daily on the comp to see that they get paid and when.... works for me anyway...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #295549 Sep 17th, 2009 at 01:35 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
A person has a choice......

And our postoffice still says they are over worked.....THey are getting less and less mail cause everyone has to pay something by card......Makes one wonder, who kids who?

maybe mail should be delivered 2 times a week?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #295550 Sep 17th, 2009 at 01:47 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I have a few things on automated payment too but I wasn't forced to do it. I resent the heck out of that too Lynne. I'd change where I do business.

Bestofour #295551 Sep 17th, 2009 at 02:19 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Even though I've grown up in this 'techie' era, I totally see what you guys mean. You should be given a choice how you pay because to me $1 paid by phone (which I've never heard of before; but anyways...) or $1 paid by cheque or $1 paid by cold hard cash is $1 all the same.

I think what it is, is more of a convenience to them, because if everything is paying through the bank (which I think some charge their own service fee), they can eventually cut the people who work locally to handle the cash or take phone payments. I like to have a budget in front my me with receipts because it's just easier to see and in case there are errors I can check up on where they came from. I know for university, everything was done online: choosing courses, paying tuition, and even applying, but there never was a charge if you wanted to line up and pay cash. And it also makes sure that people aren't going to skip out on their payments (which again benefits the BIG company without an ounce of sympathy for the worker).

and for years you've been paying an extra $5 for every bill...I don't know if I read that right. That's outrageous that you weren't informed. Did they put anything about the charge on the bill? I now know why my mom combs through each line of every bill with a highlighter in hand...$5 does add up and quite quickly!

I do know of some places (here in Canada) that ask for a handling fee (usually $10 because they need signatures and seals) when you need paper or to talk to areal person (such as applying for exams, documents) but for the most part, they will tell you well in advance. I know that some companies here will send out a notice to their customers that goes sorta like: we will be updating our system to use electronic money transfer...if you wish to renew please be advised that new bills can no loner be paid by...." Some just don't bother offering a paper+handling fee option, but you do have the option of lining up to pay cash.

When I was applying for university, I had to send transcripts to each one I applied to. I went to ask about those darn things. Gave me quite the shock when my guidance councillor told me it's $10 per academic transcript on paper, but free if they can send an electronic copy over.

Speaking of which, I never knew insurance companies can sell your policy to someone else! I'd definitely take my (your) business somewhere else.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #295582 Sep 17th, 2009 at 06:04 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Lynne---I am so very sorry for all of this. I completely agree with Sheri, Barb, Maricia--Kenny, & well everyone.
I think I too would be looking for another insurance company--contingent upon their payment policies.

I pay NO bills online, and buy very little online or over the phone with a credit card. I pay for almost everything with a check.---and so far no one is charging me to do so----OR if they are the fee is hidden in the charge. I too read my bills very carefully (like Kennys mom)---so I know if they are charging me extra for send ing me the bill, they are not telling me about it.

I would like to think if enough people complain about such charges less companies will have them. I can hope that at any rate.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #295589 Sep 17th, 2009 at 07:19 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Next thing we know, they will be telling us how to put our shirts on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #295594 Sep 18th, 2009 at 05:47 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Next thing we know, they will be telling us how to put our shirts on.

Or what kind of light bulbs to buy! madd

[Linked Image]

Marica #295599 Sep 18th, 2009 at 07:47 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica

they already are--but then you know that----I went out about a month ago to try to buy up a bunch of the type of bulbs I prefer---(not the new ones) and I could not find any---I am keeping up the hunt

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #295691 Sep 19th, 2009 at 09:45 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Yeh, they call it "eco friendly" by charging you outrageous fees for paper billing helps them offset people having to process it...

Think of it, they charge you to talk to people and you get charged for someone to process the bill; encouraging you to go paperless and do everything on the computer where they don't have to pay an employee to work...

Call it eco friendly, call it cutting costs/jobs...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Marica #295692 Sep 19th, 2009 at 09:46 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Some countries have laws stating you have to use CFL's or any type of florescent bulbs; this'll be part of the US as of 2012 as well... (source)

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Gremelin #295701 Sep 20th, 2009 at 07:00 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is a good article. I have florescent lighting all through my home. I like saving money.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #295715 Sep 20th, 2009 at 08:41 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
NOT going to happen here!!! I get fierce headaches from flourescent lights!!!
One reason I could never work in an office - the headaches might as well be migraines they are so bad.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #295717 Sep 20th, 2009 at 09:33 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
and I'm constantly wondering if the flourscent lights used in schools are the cause of seizures. There's some reason every other student in American is all of a sudden having seizures and the one thing they have in common is the lights.

Are we off subject here?

Bestofour #295723 Sep 20th, 2009 at 09:51 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There were florescent lights in all of my classes all of my life, Sheri.
We may well be off topic.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #295728 Sep 20th, 2009 at 09:56 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I think mine too Joni, but do you think they're somehow different now? it's not just the students who are having seizures, teachers too.

Bestofour #295730 Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:01 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think we need to look further for environmental reasons, Sheri. There is less mercury in the florescent tubes than in an incandescent bulb. I can get more headaches trying to see in light from a regular bulb.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #295731 Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:03 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Don't worry about being off topic here, Sheri - I am enjoying reading everyone's responses! kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bestofour #295733 Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:25 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I remember watching some program on tv about testing CFLs. I think they mentioned something about them causing headaches, and that some people have severe reactions to them. I think they are brighter, but I don't think it's worth the saved money if you're going to get headaches.

Wanna know what's the biggest scam people don't detect? Food labels. There's a company selling sugary cereal that voluntarily said to reduce the amount of sugar in each serving so it's healthier for the kids it marketed to. Caused a whole lots of media attention about making kids cereal and snacks healthier. In the end they did reduce the sugar per serving, and the label did indicate so. But if you look closely, you'll see that the amount of sugar did not change, but the serving size did.

And another, have any of you guys noticed that the prices of certain groceries haven't inflated as much as other? I'm talking about those stacks of chips and bottles of salad dressing. The price might not have gone up as much (or at all) compared to other groceries, but in reality the size of the bottle/can have shrunken. So you're basically paying as much as before, but you're getting less for your money. Boxes of cereal is a good example of this scam. Check your cereal box! It might be as big as before, but it's definitely much thinner!

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #295734 Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:28 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Oh, and back on the compact spiral bulbs: the study on tv said that if the bulbs were places into the bulb of a regular light bulb (so two layers of glass surroundign the filament), the people who had severe reactions to the white light no longer had any reaction. It is (at least to me) some progress in researching these bulbs, but the sad part is, because the production costs of these 'double' bulbs are so high, they're probably not going to be as commonly available as the regular ones. And their price is probably going to inflate to about twice the cost of a regular compact spiral bulb.

[Linked Image]

kennyso #295735 Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:41 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes this is not a new practice at all, Kenny. But it can get depressing. I explained inflation to my kids in candy bars. I got a dollar a week allowance. That could buy me twenty 5 cent candy bars like a 4 oz Butterfingers. Then the candy bars went up to 7 cents, then 10. and they got smaller and smaller. And the price rose and rose so now kids are lucky to get a 'king sized' 3.7 oz. Butterfinger for a buck.
They play with the sizes and portions a lot in food and it isn't ever in the consumer's best interest.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
kennyso #295736 Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Let the buyer beware!

We are off topic-- maybe. The topic was being scammed! These are instances of scamming. :-)

(Kenny-- make your own cereal!! Will send recipes if you want.)

[Linked Image]

Marica #295740 Sep 20th, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Let the buyer beware!

We are off topic-- maybe. The topic was being scammed! These are instances of scamming. :-)

will you send me the recipes? i think you have my email address

#295749 Sep 20th, 2009 at 01:08 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
BTW, if you get headaches from CFL's you should try another brightness; each works on a differant frequency... If you're looking for the same light from a CFL that your incandescent bulb produces just grab a soft white, if you want brighter, go with a natural light or hard white if you want to stay yellow :P...

I've replaces nearly all of our bulbs in the house with CFL's, the natural lights really make quite a differance

#295754 Sep 20th, 2009 at 02:40 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
Let the buyer beware!

will you send me the recipes? i think you have my email address

Will do-- John says he'll get me the recipes as soon as he can. He's making a BIG old pot of gumbo right now. (Man, it smells good.)

[Linked Image]

Marica #295755 Sep 20th, 2009 at 02:46 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
By the way-- I joined this group the other day: save the light bulb! (My idea is that if doing something different is such a good idea, then present me with the facts, and I'll decide whether or not changing my light bulbs is the right thing to do. But do not TELL me what to do. But that's just me!) Isn't it funny to think that a light bulb & freedom could be so connected? What a world... what a world... . touched

http://www.freedomaction.net/group/savethelightbulb

Last edited by Marica; Sep 20th, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

[Linked Image]

Marica #295763 Sep 20th, 2009 at 03:58 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I emagine everyone out there has an expirament lab and give the facts.. yikes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image