Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#295621 Sep 18th, 2009 at 05:37 PM
Rod_A Offline OP
OP Offline
This fall, I'll have bloodroot rootlets available for the Gardener's Forum membership in the USA. Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) is a shade loving plant, and once mature, will be one of the earliest forest plants to bloom.

I'm not asking for any trades at the moment, only postage reimbursement for shipping costs. Let me know if you would like a few roots to add to your shade garden.

Rod A.

Rod_A #295651 Sep 19th, 2009 at 09:48 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Rod. I would be a little tentative about sending off money or even a self-addressed bubble envelope to an unknown person. You should drop in and tell us a little about yourself and your gardens. Blood root would struggle here in my dry desert atmosphere.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #295785 Sep 20th, 2009 at 07:15 PM
Rod_A Offline OP
OP Offline
You are right Tina, bloodroot or any of the other woodland plants that I cultivate would not do well in a desert climate.

I'm from Northeast Nebraska, and my woodland garden site is in western Iowa near Council Bluffs. I've been cultivating medicinal woodland plants for the past 30 years, using organic growing techniques, and harvesting of these plants is on a sustainable level.

Besides bloodroot (which I seem to have a surplus of at the moment), I also grow American ginseng, goldenseal, black cohosh, mayapple, Jack in the pulpit, wild ginger, and Virginia snakeroot. Many of these plants are listed on the "At Risk" listing of United Plant Savers.

I'm cleaning up some of my beds to make room for more ginseng, and the bloodroot is taking up bed space. So is the black cohosh. I'd be willing to send some monster black cohosh plants to anyone who has a home for them.

Also, I have black cohosh seed that I can share with the membership, and from time to time, some mayapple. It all depends on what I decide to harvest on any given weekend.

Ultimately, my goal is to grow quality plants and provide small batches for the home herbalist for tincturing and medicinal purposes.

So, that's a little bit about myself and my business "Loess Roots".

The offer still stands for anyone that wants to obtain some free bloodroot planting stock, let me know if you are interested and I'll arrange to get some roots mailed out to you this fall.

And Tina, if there is a better place on this forum to introduce myself, please advise and I'll work up a little bio. Thanks.

Rod A.

Rod_A #295786 Sep 20th, 2009 at 07:37 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You did well right here. I am very happy to meet you. Someone may come along and ask you for a recipe or two for using your medicinals. I love reading about the natural edibles and other uses of my desert flora. I have collected a lot of info but have never really used anything other than eating some.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #313451 Apr 17th, 2010 at 09:22 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Oh . . . recipes for medicinals - that's something that interests me; we have a lot of wild prunella growing on the lot - it's supposed to be the 'all healer' plant. But I've never seen instructions on how to use it.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
Rod_A #350096 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 03:26 PM
heal all (prunella Vulgaris) has been put through several scientific studies and has been found to have no medicinal valu, and through personal experiance with the herb i can say that its pretty true. Bloodroot on tyhe other hand is a diuretic astringent and antiseptic. One of my favorite uses for it is to powder the root and snort it if you are having any sinus trouble.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.
Rod_A #350097 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 03:30 PM
if you insist on using the prunella it can be made as a salve for minor abrations and cuts. Just slightly boil the leaves and apply to the area in distress.

Rod_A #350098 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 03:32 PM
Rod A if you have any black cohosh seeds i would greatly appreciate being able to aquire some from you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,869
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image