Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#294033 Aug 28th, 2009 at 06:20 PM
mrw Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all, I have saved and reused seeds for several years with mixed results. My question is re cucumber seeds and zinnia seeds. I had less success with my (saved) zinnias than I did last year. Do the seeds need to have a period of cold for them to grow well? Same ? about the cukes. The seeds I saved looked great but did not grow at all. I bought seeds and used these instead. But I want to try again and want to know what I did wrong, or will self saved seeds not produce? Thanks as always for any information.

wildwoman
mrw #294070 Aug 28th, 2009 at 08:45 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
No both zinnias and cukes are strictly warm weather plants. Those are some that do not accept cold much at all. Zinnias in particular need to be started after it has warmed up a lot.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #294094 Aug 29th, 2009 at 09:24 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
zinnia flower seeds should be collected after the flower has died on the plant. maybe you already know this? just thought I'd throw that out there in case you didn't.
on your cukes, I'm wondering if your original cuke plant was a hybrid? seeds from a hybrid plant won't sprout. also, when you collected seeds from your cuke did you let them completly dry out before you stored them?
from what I know, it's mostly tree seeds that require a period of coldness in order for them to sprout.
planting depth also comes to mind. a general rule is plant the seed double....or is it triple...??? the seed size. maybe some of your seeds were planted too deep?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #295644 Sep 19th, 2009 at 04:27 AM
I'm going to try to save some seeds...how do you store them???
If anyone has any x-tra seeds I would love some!!
thanks
NJ

njrebo #295647 Sep 19th, 2009 at 08:58 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I find a lot of times, cucumbers are picked before the seeds have a chance to mature. I've never grown cucumber with seeds inside nor have I ever seen any because most of the ones I've seen and grown are the seedless variety (they do have seeds but they just do'nt develop) .As well, with zinnias, they are notorious for producing infertile seeds. Any fertile seed will be hard and feel a bit thicker. Anything that is flimsy/soft or that can bend easily without snapping would be an infertile seed that won't grow.

I sow my seeds on top of a pot of moistened seed starting medium and them cover them with a fine layer of vermiculite and mist the top with a spray bottle. 2-3 is generally the rule for how much to cover the seed. Anything that is small (poppy seed and smaller) is generally just sprinkled on top and patted down but not covered.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #295649 Sep 19th, 2009 at 09:20 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My first zinnias were a bag full of dried flowers someone gave me. I didn't know which parts were the seeds so I crumbled the whole flower heads on bare ground and raked and stomped them in. I had zinnias coming out my ears! I did purchase a package of seeds and saw that the seeds were the little arrowhead shaped bits on the ends of the dried petals. So in subsequent years I planted only those.
It is all a learning process.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #295721 Sep 20th, 2009 at 09:46 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi NJ I have an over abundance of blackberry lily seeds if you are intereted pm me.

Zinnia's seem to stay viable for more than one year and reseed too. I love them so much I usually even start them indoors although it isn't necessary since they come up so quickly.

I've never collected cucumber seeds but I would imagine that if you wanted to you would have to keep that particular cucumber on the vine until it was way overripe before picking it. But I don't do them in my garden so I can't swear to it.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #295969 Sep 23rd, 2009 at 06:07 PM
TK-I just PM'd you. Thanks.
NJ

mrw #332330 Oct 6th, 2010 at 03:17 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
I've just thrown my deadheads into one bowl; let 'em dry and crumble. Then sometime in March or so, I'll fill some pots with clean soil and spread it all in there - see what pops.

Matter of fact, as we speak, I'm creating a post-it note, and setting the alarm for March 31st, 2k11 . . . if the comet doesn't hit us before then, I'll plant my deadheads.

Don't ask me what all's in there; I've lost track - pinch from here, pinch from there . . .

I remember meeting an Italian woman in the park once; she was deadheading. She said 'now, I see - in spring? I have!'

I hope she was right about that; I usually get about 3 different plants out of 50 I've deadheaded.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
mrw #332331 Oct 6th, 2010 at 03:20 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
BTW - the speaker at the garden show one year told us that ordinary peppers you buy in the store are NOT FEMALES! The growers hold them back - so you won't get plants out of their seeds.

But oddly enough, I got one green pepper plant growing on my garden table. Hadn't a clue what it was till I saw the green pepper bulging from it. It has now turned red. I have it sitting on top of my deadheads. Let it do whatever it wants.

I have never had luck with saving avocado pits. Dunno' if anybody else has.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
mrw #332373 Oct 7th, 2010 at 05:26 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've never had a problem propigating pepper seeds from grocery bought peppers.

I have an avocado tree growing in the master bedroom. Don't ask me what I'm going to do with it but I plan on keeping it around. If the global warming continues by the time it gets tall maybe I can plant it outside.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image