Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#293438 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 12:10 AM
Rhana Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought this plant and the lady didn't know what type plant it was... I tried looking up rubber plant, but I couldn't find one that looks like mine.. The leaves are thick and waxy feeling and the stem is green like the leaves.. So if anyone could help me figure it out, I would appreciate it.. I would like to make sure I am giving it the proper care..Thank you...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The dead part in this picture is where pinkish red tiny flowers bloom...

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
try googling 'kalanchoe'

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Rhana. Those are great pictures you gave us to go by.
I agree with a probable kalanchoe. But when you google and check out the pictures, don't give up too soon. There are a lot of different kinds within that family and not all are the waxy leafed variety. Some are fuzzy and huge and some are quite small.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Rhana wavy Welcome to the Gardenhelper grin
I agree it is a Kolanchoe. I have a couple of them thumbup

Keep in mind that these plants are succulent, meaning their fleshy leaves store water, they don’t like to be over-watered.
They need a soil that drains well/The pot, of course, needs to have a hole in the bottom for drainage.

While it's blooming, watering once a week should be sufficient. Make sure containers drain thoroughly. Left in wet soil, the roots can be prone to rot, so be sure the soil dries out between waterings. An ordinary plant fertilizer can also be applied about once every two weeks.

Other than avoiding direct sun in the hotter months, kalanchoes can tolerate a wide variety of lighting conditions, though best in bright indirect light. (You’ll recognize too much sun exposure when the leaves begin to look “sunburned.”)

I hope this has Helped you :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
kalanchoe. probably k. blosfeldiana.

as noted, it's a succulent, so water well and allow soil to dry out a bit before watering again.

Zone 6b
3k Posts
3k Posts
Yes - definitely - I have a couple of that species of kal . . . there's a lot of them.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image