Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#293512 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:21 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a shipment of ladybugs this week for my greenhouse and I want to know if anyone knows of a way to keep the ones I don't want to release right away. In other words I want to let them go a few at a time. What can I do with the rest as they wait? Or must I let them all go at once??

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #293515 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:31 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
If you let them go in your greenhouse....and if I"m remembering correctly, you were the one with the aphid prob??? I'd let them all go at once. if there is plenty of aphids for them to eat they won't fly off. they'll stay where the food supply is until it's gone. and in a greenhouse, although doors and sides may be open from time to time, it is somewhat enclosed. maybe most wouldn't be able to get out?

I'll say this too. Most years in the fall when we are getting our first blast of cold weather, I get lots of ladybugs in the house. they congregate in our master bathroom for some reason. I don't see anything in there that they can eat, but they'll stay alive for several days and even weeks.

how long are you wanting to save back some of them?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Rosepetal #293516 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:36 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
there should be directions with them, when they arrive.

i think you can keep them in the fridge (in vegy drawer) to keep them in a partly dormant state and then release some every few days.

Zone 6b
cricket #293518 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:39 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Directions will come with your lady bugs that will tell you to release them all at once, I believe. And soon. They will eat each other if left too long in a container. And then die off.
Cricket, I think the kind in your master bedroom are the Asian ones or something. People say they bite. So you may be their dinner there. Here is a bit about the Asian ones.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/66/2142.html
They are probably different than the ones Rosepetal is getting.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #293534 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 07:26 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I wish the container had some directions, I've ordered from this company before and no directions came along. I also emailed them and got no reply ... if I had found another supplier from Canada soon enough, guaranteed I would have pulled my order and gotten it else where.

The lady bugs I ordered do not bite, anyway they didn't when I got them the first time.

Tina if you are suggesting I should let them go all at once, I'll just open the container and let them crawl out as they will.

My cherry tomatoes are loaded with aphids and I hate using chemicals because most of them will destroy the flowers or hurt the plants no matter how safe they say they are. I know because I tried them. I lost my peppers because of aphids and chemicals.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #293599 Aug 25th, 2009 at 03:34 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
From what I've read, you're supposed to water the spot where you let the ladybugs go, and you have to let them go at night or else they'll all fly away (I'm not sure if your greenhouse is enclosed or open ended)They should stay as long as you have food. Do expect to find quite a few dead one.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #293669 Aug 25th, 2009 at 01:44 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
It's one day now since I've let my ladybugs go. I can find them crawling everywhere, though not as many as I let go. Yes Kennyso I have found quite a few dead ones this morning, but I'm sure the others are having a feast.

On the positive side of things .... I'm not finding any aphids on the newer buds of my tomatoes so far. Let hope it stays this way.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #293689 Aug 25th, 2009 at 06:08 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
thumbup

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image