Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
angelblossom #285950 Jun 15th, 2009 at 08:57 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
aaawwwww!!! what fabulous pics!!! he looks completely at ease and at home - very good to see!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #293233 Aug 21st, 2009 at 07:19 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Tomorrow is the day!!!
We are taking Butterscotch to get his retest for feline leukemia and aides, and as long as both are negative he can come out of the small room he's been in since the middle of May!!! clap thumbup

He has become so affectionate, and just craves attention. We can now pick him up and hold him standing, though he still doesn't know what to do with his limbs when we sit in the chair holding him in our laps. He is the most uncoordinated cat I've ever met. And I truly believe he has a fear of heights! shock He has never jumped up onto the low dresser that is in the room, nor would he jump down from it when Brian placed him on top today.

I am going to ask the vet about that tomorrow when Butterscotch gets his blood tested. I also want him to be weighed - I think he's gained the 5 lbs. that poor Oliver has lost! He feels and looks so much heavier than when we first brought him inside, which is understandable since he no longer runs all over the place outside, and was confined to the small room.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us that the tests come out negative tomorrow? Thanks! kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293242 Aug 21st, 2009 at 08:26 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I just KNEW Butterscotch would become a loving friendly kitty!! I am so glad to hear such good news of his progress....OG course I will keep him in my prayers, and I will be waiting to hear the outcome of the test results.... nervous :wink:

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #293250 Aug 21st, 2009 at 09:06 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i had no doubts, either, about the potential for him to turn out to be a loving and affectionate member of your family!!

it's so good to hear it's time for re-testing AND that he's gained some weight!

good luck with the tests!!! let us know how what the results are!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #293258 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 06:20 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup lynne, that is awesome. i'm so happy for you and pray the tests come out right!

Joclyn #293268 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 07:32 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn
i had no doubts, either, about the potential for him to turn out to be a loving and affectionate member of your family!!

it's so good to hear it's time for re-testing AND that he's gained some weight!

good luck with the tests!!! let us know how what the results are!!

Lynne,, your family has done well with him,, slow and sure he's gotten used to it all,, and will continue to get used to everything grin I too am anxious to know the results of the test,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
JunieGirl #293289 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:16 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
....Of course I will keep him in my prayers, and I will be waiting to hear the outcome of the test results.... nervous :wink:

waiting "patiently" ?.......... :wink:

________

JunieGirl #293291 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:21 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
boohoo boohoo boohoo boohoo boohoo boohoo boohoo boohoo

He is FIV positive. boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293293 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:27 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OMG!! I am so sory---so what is next, says the girl who is really scared to ask????

________

JunieGirl #293295 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:50 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Carol.

We need to find him a good home. The vet said that most often it is spread by body fluids but mostly by blood, and that is how he got it - from the @$#%$ cat who chewed him up outside. He tested negative when he first went to the vet 3 months ago.

The woman who has been helping us by paying his vet bills was adament once again on the phone about how we can keep him even if he is FIV positive. That it can ONLY be spread by blood - that is not necessarily true, though is the most common way. HOWEVER... the vet (who knows this woman well!) said we should NOT keep him with our other cats. Especially since he is another large MALE cat in the house, with claws. As it is, our cats fight with each other on a daily basis since Brian came home with his 2 with claws.

The bigger problem is that Butterscotch also has the other problems - the paralyzed bladder issue and the urinary tract blockage, and is on prescription food. The FIV in itself is not an issue for someone who would have only 1 cat, or already has a cat that is FIV positive. They can live out normal life spans with it. But finding someone who would take him with these other issues, and the fact that he needs prescription food is the real issue here. The woman told me on the phone yesterday that it would take "MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS to possibly find someone to take him" and how we would have to keep him!!!

Brian said he's pretty sure we could find someone through Craig's list or Petfinders, but that makes me very nervous. I have grown so very attached to him that I cried at the vet's when he told Don and me. Good thing Don was there also. The vet was very understanding - even rubbed my arm out of sympathy. boohoo

I have to call a friend of mine - she already has an FIV positive cat, but said that she would never take another cat in. I think she actually might have taken Butterscotch IF he didn't have other special needs. Right now she is in Florida on vacation, so I will have to either text her, or wait til she gets home.

And so he is back in his small room, but wants out, since he got a taste of being outside once again - even if it was in a carrier. He is crying at the door to get out! boohoo

I SOOOOOOOOOOOO thought that everything would be great! tears

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293297 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:03 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry, Lynne.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
plants 'n pots #293298 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:05 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Oh Lynne I'm so sorry, I know how greatly disappointed you are.
Praying He will be adopted to a caring family like he has with yours. kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293299 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OH MY goodness I am so sorry--I will hope that your friend can either help or will know of someone that can help. kissie

________

JunieGirl #293337 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 12:39 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie i'm so sorry lynne.

#293362 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 04:51 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much everyone! kissie

If you don't mind, I am going to use the space here to collect my research and thoughts. I did a bit of googling FIV this afternoon and found this information which surprises me, as my vet got his degree from Cornell Vet School!

Cornell about FIV

Positive results

Because few, if any, cats ever eliminate infection, the presence of antibody indicates that a cat is infected with FIV. This test can be performed by most veterinary diagnostic laboratories and also is available in kit form for use in veterinary clinics. Since false-positive results may occur, veterinarians recommend that positive results be confirmed using a test with a different format.

He did NOT mention this to us, nor did he recommend testing him in any other fashion.

wikipedia on FIV

False positives occur when the cat carries the antibody (which is harmless), but does not carry the actual virus.

The thing about that statement is that he did test negative when they first brought him in 3 months ago, so then do we surmise that he is indeed positive since he now tests positive? why

cats.about.com

The initial test was the ELISA, which tests both for FIV antibodies and FeLV. Since there can be false positives with the ELISA test, an initial positive for FIV is followed up by a laboratory test, such as the Western Blot test, which confirms that antibodies to FIV are present in the blood.

vetinfo.com

It is a good idea to confirm a positive feline immunodeficiency virus test if it was done using an ELISA test kit at the veterinarian's office. The Western blot test is a good second test to help confirm that FIV is actually present since it tests for several of the virus' antigens rather than just one. If this test is positive, as well, then it is reasonable to assume that infection is present.

I could go on and on with research but they all seem to say the same thing. So now I will have to call tomorrow (if they are even open on Sunday) and find out which test he did, and if he can do a Western Blot test if that is not the one he did today. I just couldn't let it rest, you know? I am too attached to him already.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293391 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 06:31 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Great researching. I agree from what you have here that a second test is a good idea. Too many false positives.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293399 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 07:53 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
exactly----I have been doing a LOT OF READING lately about false positives in tests in general---I say do not let it die here
definatley push--and I think that any Dr should be willing to do a second test

________

JunieGirl #293427 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:14 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Sorry to hear about all the troubles, Lynne. I would push for that other test too, just to make sure. You've been so good to this cat, I applaud you for that, it's not something I could do. I'm hoping for some good news.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
JunieGirl #293428 Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:15 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
MOST DEFINITELY get a second test done!!!!

did you find this site? aafp (american assoc of feline practitioners) ? some good info there - and a little worksheet for recording symptoms (if any) being presented.

i DO so hope that this was a false positive!!!!! it would be tragic for him to have to go somewhere else. he so clearly picked you - which is such a huge compliment from a feral cat - i just can't think about him not staying with you!

Zone 6b
JunieGirl #293454 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 08:05 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sorry to hear of Butterscotch.....Thats the one I wanted to hook from you.

Have faith.....Were thinking of you .

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #293470 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 09:58 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much everyone once again for all your support! kissie

And thank you, Joclyn for that link - it pretty much said what all the other sites have said as well. thumbup

The vet was not open today, so I will make that call tomorrow morning for sure. In the meantime it's hard for me not to tear up tears everytime I go into Butterscotch's room to spend time with him. This morning while I was sitting in the chair in there and talking with him and petting him - he does answer back every time with the most unusual sounds coming out of a cat haha - very gutteral - anyway, he put his front paw gently on top of my bare foot as if to say... "STAY with me!" luv boohoo At that moment I just wanted to keep him in that room forever. But I know that wouldn't be fair to him, to keep him caged in there for the rest of his life. I guess time will tell what is going to happen to him now. why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293481 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 11:17 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots

it's hard for me not to tear up tears everytime I go into Butterscotch's room to spend time with him. This morning while I was sitting in the chair in there and talking with him and petting him - he does answer back every time with the most unusual sounds coming out of a cat haha - very gutteral - anyway, he put his front paw gently on top of my bare foot as if to say... "STAY with me!" luv boohoo At that moment I just wanted to keep him in that room forever. But I know that wouldn't be fair to him,

Lynne, this made me teary eyed to read this. tears
Animals, once they have learned to trust us, they love us unconditionally. He knows how you feel,, :ding: and I know if he could say it he would thank you over and over again. He reaching out placing his paw on your foot says it all :ding:
On behalf of Butterscotch and all of us cat&animal lovers out here we thank you for all you have done for Butterscotch and all that will be done to secure his future in a loving home. You're the Kitty Rescue Hero of the year in My book kissie

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #293491 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
[quote=angelblossom] You're the Kitty Rescue Hero of the year in My book kissie [quote]

A BIG second on that one!

best of luck getting that second test. poor butterscotch has been through SO much, now this. I don't even like cats and I have followed butterschotch's story from the beginning. you have been great to him. and he is a little trooper. I'm hoping and praying things will work out.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #293494 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 01:00 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Lynne I have just finished reading what Diane & Cricket have said. I only wish I were as good with words as they are. However since I am not, I feel I can at least agree completely with their sentiments.--well except that I DO like cats.

Butterscotch is a real sweetie, and so are you.

kissie to you both.

________

JunieGirl #293514 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:24 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
OK you guys... now the tears are just pouring onto the floor after reading all you've written here. tears kissie Thanks so much again for being a constant support in our journey with Butterscotch. I wish he could know how many fans he has here, and I wish you all could spend some time with him personally - I do tell him all about you all, you know! thumbup

Diane - that graphic is PURRRRRRFECT!!! cat
Of course it made me cry harder, but that was a good cry! Thank you! kissie

Last edited by plants 'n pots; Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: meant to write to Diane about the graphic!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293519 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:40 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm sure in some way butterscotch DOES know how many fans he has. and how many people you have shared his story with. animals can feel emotions. call me a crazy quack if you'd like, but I know this to be true.
when I am anxious or nervous my savannah follows me around the house like a shadow. If I get into bed sad/depressed that dog is up there snuggling by my side. and that is the ONLY time that dog will sleep with anyone in this entire house. I don't see that behavior in the other two dogs, but that doesn't mean they don't sense it. and when you were talking about b.s. putting his paw on your foot....well, that's an animal that senses what you feel and is responding to it.
OK.......enough of that! now, I"m getting teary! and I DON"T like cats!

hang in there!

Cricket

cricket #293520 Aug 23rd, 2009 at 03:42 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
and yes, diane. VERY cool graphic.

Cricket

cricket #293597 Aug 24th, 2009 at 09:52 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Cricket. kissie

It seems I am now between a rock and a hard place. I called the vet to find out about doing the Western Blot test, and the receptionist said I had to deal with the woman of the organization who has been helping us. I only wanted to know the price of the test - the receptionist said she didn't see it on her list, and repeated to speak with the other woman. When I told her that she wasn't covering him anymore, she just repeated to speak with her.

I called the woman, told her that Butterscotch was FIV positive and she was very happy that he was not FeLV positive and that he would be fine here with the other cats. I told her NO!... that the vet said he should NOT be put with the rest of our cats. She got upset and said Butterscotch most certainly could - that the vet WOULD say that. When I was able to get a word in, I asked her to simply find out how much the test would be, to see if we could cover that. She is supposed to call me back. Still waiting...

So I am stuck between these 2 disagreeing people who are supposed to be taking care of this sweet kitty. The vet is correct though, Don and I believe!

In the meantime, I called another vet's office to see if they could do the test and how much it would be - if we need to go elsewhere. Some friends of ours use them and are very happy with them. They gave me the price right away, but also said that perhaps all the other cats could be vaccinated for it. We do not do those vaccines anymore because our first cat, Cookie, died from bone marrow cancer and we are convinced it was from her vaccine. BUT... they could give just the FIV - not the FeLV that we believe caused the cancer. However, this receptionist put me on hold for a long time and spoke with the 2 vets there, and asked me more questions about all of our cats - they are going to brainstorm to see what the best action would be for all involved.

I spent more valuable time with this person on the phone discussing it all, than I did with our own vet, who is also the vet for the organization that is helping us. The fact that he and the woman from the organization are on 2 completely different pages does not help us! But in the end... we have to do what is best for the 5 cats we already had when Butterscotch found us.

I am so saddened by all this. I keep going into his room and spending time with him, petting him, talking to him, and doing much crying in there as well. Poor baby did not ask for any of this - it's so unfair!!! tears

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293601 Aug 25th, 2009 at 06:33 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Pictures of the sweetie this morning...

[Linked Image]

"I'm so lovable!"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293604 Aug 25th, 2009 at 06:42 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
He is lovable. I am sorry you are going through all of this. But you are doing it all well.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293606 Aug 25th, 2009 at 06:44 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Beautiful Pictures of Him Lynne luv

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #293607 Aug 25th, 2009 at 06:44 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
tina said it best. fingers crossed and prayers still going.

plants 'n pots #293618 Aug 25th, 2009 at 07:24 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Pictures of the sweetie this morning...

"I'm so lovable!"
[Linked Image]

This Picture ~ I just want to reach in and pet him grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #293650 Aug 25th, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks again, all.

Well today has brought some good news. The woman called me back from the organization a little while ago. She found out the price for the Western Blot test, and now I need to talk with Don about whether it is in our budget right now - he's away for the day.

BUT... she was MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer today kissie, and said she would do everything she could to adopt him out to a loving home!!! clap What a change from the past few conversations about how we have to keep him and how he's not adoptable!!! She told me to send her associate some pictures - told her I got some good ones this morning, and to write up a little something about his personality - easily done! She will advertise him on Craig's list and put up posters, and even take him to PetSmart on their adoption days, in a couple of weeks IF we want her to do that.

WOW - what a change in attitude!!! I will talk to Don and see how we will proceed now. She and I even discussed how he will ONLY go to someone who clearly shows affection for him, and that she would go with me to drop him off at his new home if I want, so she can approve it. Again... WOW!

So even though I am so very sad about having to lose him tears, at least she is on our side right now - YEA! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293656 Aug 25th, 2009 at 10:31 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is good news, Lynne. He deserves a good home.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293666 Aug 25th, 2009 at 01:00 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Lynne I'm soooooo glad there is a positive aspect on things, #1 for Butterscotch #2 it lightens the heaviness in your heart for Butterscotch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #293701 Aug 25th, 2009 at 07:02 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
fantastic pictures of Butterscotch, Lynne.

I am so glad that you are finally getting the people at that organization to respond in an positive manner where both you and Butterscotch are concerned.

I am so hoping that this journey finally ends in a happy place for all of you. kissie

________

JunieGirl #293705 Aug 25th, 2009 at 07:25 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

I am so hoping that this journey finally ends in a happy place for all of you. kissie

Me too Carol Me too thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #294313 Aug 31st, 2009 at 05:53 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
any updates lynne?

#294315 Aug 31st, 2009 at 07:28 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Sorry - no updates yet because we were busy getting Amy packed up and back to college yesterday. I will have to make some calls this week and then see how we proceed - thanks for asking.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image