Print Thread
Rate Thread
#293203 Aug 21st, 2009 at 04:22 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Gnome
3k Posts
It was nice to come in here and see how many of you kept inputting your plant data in here in spite of my apparent lack of doing anything with the information.....
Well, guess what? nervous
The time has come at last!

I'm not ready to show it yet, but I am working on the internet's first GizmoTron, and it has begun to DEMAND data. What I would like to do is start two topics for now.... "Blue flowers" and "Bulbs". If anyone would like to participate in this project, please post your lists (don't try to post every blue flower in a night.... each topic will stay open as long as it is active.

What I absolutely don't want is a long list of names without information.

My preferences as far as added data (in order) would be...

rose A link to a Plant Profile page on The Garden Helper. (try a Garden search)
rose A link to the most informational "cultivation" topic from the forum.(try a Garden search)
rose A list of the plant's basics... the more complete, the better.... but I will take what I can get. Sun or shade? Annual or Perennial, biennial or bulb? likes drought or flood? A link to a pix (TGH preferred) would be nice! The "basics can be abbreviated as long as we can figure them out or you can use these stickers...
[Linked Image]Requires full sun for most of the day
[Linked Image]Little or no direct sunlight
[Linked Image]Requires shade for at least 3 hours during the hottest part of the day
[Linked Image]Some or all parts of this plant may be toxic
[Linked Image]Once established, these plants require little or no supplemental watering
[Linked Image]These plants will tolerate some drought, but benefit from periodic watering
[Linked Image]Needs regular weekly watering, more often in extreme heat
[Linked Image][Linked Image]Keep constantly moist

THIS PAGE shows a good example of the minimum amount of data I'd like to data-fy for the plants we add. When adding to a list (even the "blue" list) feel free to mention typical colors or traits if you'd like... Remember that you can find lots of reference stuff on TGH.

This forum is only for the PDCP (Plant Data Collection Project) Please don't add empty lists of names... they will be deleted without comment.

I hope this works out the way I am hoping but even if I can't get er done, let this be FUN... no stressing or overworking this... we have lots of time!

Wild Willy #293207 Aug 21st, 2009 at 04:33 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Gnome
3k Posts
I just started the first two lists. We will only keep two open lists at a time for this project. Please don't start other lists so I can keep this managed and organized... Thank you! wavy

Wild Willy #293208 Aug 21st, 2009 at 04:33 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Are Questions allowed? Do you want what is blooming in our yards now or when they bloom or just a list with your other requirements? A wish list?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #293211 Aug 21st, 2009 at 04:46 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
As time pushes on we will be doing a bloom calender for each participating zone, but that will be more difficult to organize and input so that's why we are starting with simple, plain old "BLUE" so I can figure out what I am supposed to do. Sometimes I come up with good brain farts, but that in know way indicates that I know what I'm doing or how I will do it idea

Bill #293212 Aug 21st, 2009 at 04:47 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
You can still post any topics related to your gardens and zone so you will have that record for your use when we do do the bloom calendar

Bill #293248 Aug 21st, 2009 at 08:52 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
When I was researching the blue flowers I really couldn't find much info from TGh either a plant profile nor much in the informational side. A few questions not all of them answered much. So I didn't have any links to add.
And your 'stickers', Should I copy them to my pb and add them?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293249 Aug 21st, 2009 at 09:03 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
No that won't work for me

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image