Rate Thread
#292864 Aug 17th, 2009 at 04:48 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
We had so much cooler weather in July that all I had was green plants and Gren tomatoes, but the past 2 weeks we have turned up the heat and humidity, and now my jungle plants are turning red.
OMG the plants are monstrous, HAd to add stakes to the cages, they are leaning over.
And I used big cages. So will report when I eat my first one.
Interested to see how the Roma grapes taste. They are grape tomatoes but slightly larger and are the shape of small roma tomatoes. There are tons of them.
We shall see. grin

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am so glad you finally have your heat to ripen your 'maters, Kim. I wish I could have shared part of my July with you. But you havpart of my August and I have part of yours so it should work out well.
I want to hear how your first tomato tastes. I haven't had a single homegrown all season. Some neighbors usually load me down but they didn't put any in this year.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
as I sit here, Tina--I am eating some cherry toms and 1 what seems to be a type of Jolly tomato. I have had a few in the last few weeks on the sweet 100 wanna be but this is my first Tom from the second plzant--and remember these 2 are all that I have this year- egad-and they are on my deck in pots.

The first one is a type looks like a cheery tomato to me--it name is "________" Girl--or was cousin???. I have no idea what the first name was anymore. I tried to replace a sweet 100 that had died, & this is all I could find.

The second one--is one my DH brought home to me from a guy at work---he had so many plants to give away that he could not rememeber which was which. why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
1k Posts
1k Posts
My greenhouse tomatoes are doing great, have many palm sized tomatoes hanging on the vines. Have to do a lot of tying and staking. I ate my first one this week end and there are more ripening fast. clap

But I could cry when I saw aphids all over my tomatoes the other day. boohoo boohoo I really hope to be able to get something done about them before they do too much damage. tapfoot

Why did God make the aphid? why why Of all the bugs around us I have come to dread these the most cause I can't seem to get rid of them.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
try out some butterfly weed for the apid prob, rose. that plant attracts apids (away from your other plants) but the apids don't hurt the b.f. weed. they are nasty little critters aren't they?

my tomatoes are sad sad this year. over 100 degree heat for over a month and a drought on top of that, they are pathetic. I've started taking cuttings (much too early) for some fall tomatoes. I'm getting about a 40 percent survival rate on the cuttings. it's still SO hot and dry the original plants are dying off. I pulled three plants this morning, and it felt like picking up a tennis shoe. no roots left.

I had 17 big boy tomatoes that were producing 1-3 tomatoes a day before it got so hot and dry. luckily I was able to freeze some.......hoping on some kind of fall crop. prayers

Last edited by cricket; Aug 17th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
1k Posts
1k Posts
Guess we all have our "problems" this year. Hope you get some fall tomatoes going cricket.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
i have a whitefly infestation that is leaving sticky stuff all over my plant and leaving white spots all over my leaves which will probably kill my plant sooner or later and then i wont be able to complete the growing of my tomatoes which will end in a lost cause and time for growing my plants.

OTHER THAN THAT THE ARE FINE:)

Tomatoes FTW
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Rosepetal
Guess we all have our "problems" this year. Hope you get some fall tomatoes going cricket.

did you get rid of the aphids?

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
it's been a bummer year for tomatoes here. I had four plants in the ground, and had harvested only about 15 fruit. the last time i grew them was about four years ago, but i picked tons. i had to rip the plants out this afternoon, tomato blight. ick.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image