Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#292884 Aug 17th, 2009 at 02:25 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
It seems I just can't get rid of the aphids in my greenhouse this year. boohoo tears I bought quite a few ladybugs a little while ago and let them loose the garden and some in the greenhouse, but it was so cold and rainy that time and then we had hail too. Though the garden seems alright, I'm not sure where they went in the greenhouse cause I can't find them. why

I'm doing all the things I've been telling others to do, like washing down the plants with water, etc...but I fear loosing my tomatoes like I did my peppers. Does anyone have anything that worked for them. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #292889 Aug 17th, 2009 at 03:11 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #292891 Aug 17th, 2009 at 04:26 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Nice article, papito.

No kidding, I check for aphids 1-2 times per day, morning and evening so that I can "see through" the bottoms of the leaves against the low sun. Then I squish them. But I'm careful to look also for ladybug larva!

Rosepetal-- if you have a serious infestation, and you're doing all of the things we do to deal with aphids-- I have a thought. Aphids on leaves, while they obviously are not good, won't affect your crop nearly as much as aphids on the flowers and flower stems, and on the stems of small fruit. So target those with your defenses until you get things under control. Also-- if you have praying (or is it preying?) matis outside-- capture them & bring them in. They are awesome!

Hope this helps.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #293117 Aug 20th, 2009 at 03:09 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Thank for a great article "Papito" every article I've read so far has a few different things I could do with my problem.

"Marica" you know you may be right, some of my tomatoes are huge already and so far I've not seen many aphids sitting on the new growth or flowers.

Something funny happened, I had marigolds in the greenhouse and I ended up having to get rid of them. They seemed to attract the aphids not repel them. There were so many on each flower that I gave up and pulled them all out. I needed to give my tomatoes a chance to keep going.

Yesterday I washed them all down with water then sprayed them with a soap/oil/garlic mix. Not too many aphids around today, so maybe I'll keep this up until I have all the tomatoes picked off.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #298723 Oct 27th, 2009 at 03:53 AM
I hate to bump an older post, but I have a simple, purely organic solution to aphids. It is even better than the soapy water trick (and who wants to spray THAT on their tomatoes?). Simply dust them with ashes! Fireplace ashes, or BBQ ashes work wonders. It kills them. Come back a couple hours later, and hose off your plants...the dead aphids will fall into your soil. The only drawback is that ashes are alkaline. If your soil is already alkaline, that will compound the problem, but can easily be overcome by dumping your coffee grounds around your plants. roses, and other plants which love acidic soils LOVE coffee, and coffee grounds.

I originally used a trowel to fling the ashes on them, but most gardening/seed catalogs have little bulb-type 'dusters' that work excellently to dust 'em & bust 'em! Saves you from having to BBQ every day. LOL

Seattlepolk #298728 Oct 27th, 2009 at 05:42 AM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
We'd much rather have an old post bumped back up, than a new topic started for an old subject!
Thank you for the tips! I wonder if that would work for spider mites?

Wild Willy #298776 Oct 27th, 2009 at 09:25 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks for the tips Seattlepolk grin
I use coffee grinds also,, and now I know what to do with the BBQ ashes thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image