Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#293066 Aug 19th, 2009 at 05:34 PM
mrw Offline OP
OP Offline
Many people in this area (including a lot of farmers) had a problem with what has been called tomato blight. The plants become weak and any tomatoes that grow have ugly brownn or black spots on them. They are not edible and don't turn red. I read an article that said some of these plants came from suppliers to the Home Depot and Lowes. I grew my own from seeds but always purchase a few plant as insurance, in case mine don't grow. Anyway this year I got burned as most of our plants got the blight. My question is this: Is there anything I should do to "sterilize" the soil for next season? I will clear out all of the dead plants and clean up the garden but I"m afraid that some of the disease will remain next year. Or will our cold and snow kill it? If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it, and thanks.

wildwoman
mrw #293082 Aug 19th, 2009 at 07:00 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts

Bill #293090 Aug 19th, 2009 at 07:38 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I have heard that snow kills the spores, and that if you put the diseased plants in the compost they will continue to shed their spores as they compost. I've never heard of a way to sterilize the soil, but you could plant them in a different location next year ('rotating' your crops). There's lots of conflicting ideas out there regarding blight, but if there's one thing that everyone agrees on is that diseased plants should be totally removed and burned (or into the garbage if you can't burn).

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image