Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#290509 Jul 22nd, 2009 at 03:05 PM
Mamaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Whenever I plant squash/zuchini/pumpkins, I get beautiful plants and flowers but the flowers never turn into the veggies. I always purchase 2 to 3 plants from a good nursery so assume they can pollinate each other. My garden is a raised bed filled with cheap dirt and Miracle Gro dirt, with grass clippings and leaves added throughout the year. Lots of worms so I think the soil must be rich enough. Tomatoes, beans, lettuce, strawberries do well in these beds.

Mamaw #290589 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 10:19 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Your flowers are probably not getting pollinated so try doing it by hand. It worked for me when I had that same problem.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Mamaw Offline OP
OP Offline
How do I hand pollinate? Also, sometimes a fruit will begin developing but then rots and falls off. Why and what can I do? My tomatoes bloom and produce lots of fruit, so why are they pollinated but not the pumpkins and squash?

Last edited by Mamaw; Jul 24th, 2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: more ??
Mamaw #290690 Jul 24th, 2009 at 12:40 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Some tomatoes pollinate by themselves or by the wind. But with squash and zucchini you must have the bug or bees that will do the job for you. Here are some instructions that I googled for ... hope it helps you.

In order to hand-pollinate, you must be able to tell the difference between male and female flowers. Female flowers have a tiny squash right behind the flower (and if your pollination efforts are successful that tiny squash will develop into a squash rather than shriveling up). If you look inside the female flower you’ll also see a stigma, which is a sticky, round female reproductive organ. Male flowers have straight stems and anthers (the male reproductive organ), which look like small cotton swabs dipped in bright yellow pollen.

Squash flowers open up in the morning and stay open for one day. Hand pollination works best if you do it as soon as possible after the flowers open. To hand-pollinate, snip off a male flower and peel back its petals, leaving the pollen-covered anthers exposed. Nuzzle the anthers onto the stigma of a female flower, leaving a dose of pollen behind.

Discard the male flower after you’ve pollinated three female flowers. You’ll know your hand pollination worked if the little squash behind the female flower begins to grow and the female flower falls off.

To encourage more insect pollinators, plant flowers that produce lots of nectar, including sweet alyssum and bachelor buttons near your squash plants.

[Linked Image]

Mamaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Went out several mornings to hand pollinate but found the honey bees doing the job for me.

Mamaw #292306 Aug 13th, 2009 at 09:43 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
It's tough when you plant things and they don't grow as they should. My garden is barely producing as it should, we're having way too many cool and cloudy days with lots of rain, though the rain is OK, but we need sunshine for things to grow well. My squash were doing OK, then we had hail and now they just starting to grow again, but I don't think I'll get anything from them this year, we often get an early frost at the end of August so that pretty well sums it up for me this year.

[Linked Image]

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
If you have tiny little squash (about the size of a marble) then they fall off, it may be because of fluctuating temperatures/rain.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image