Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
In the five photos, I am showing:
1. Cuttings of the greenish-leafed, greenish-berried vine.
2. More cuttings of the same
3. Cuttings with the reddish berries
4. Live vines with the berries that become reddish-purple that don't taste good.
5. The tree with some berries and the woody vines species also shown in pictures 1., 2., and 3.

The below link should give you five photos with descriptions as I've chosen the detail URL in Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankyguitarwatson/sets/72157622019481266/detail/

Below are my own not so sophisticated descriptions of the 3 species I am trying to identify. I basically want to know if these are good vines to have in a squirrel-bird habitat. I have removed many of them as they are beginning to block the light on the maple tree and the arbor vita but I'll let them grow next year if there is no problem. I haven't tried to taste the grape-like berries yet - perhaps that would help in id'ing them. Thank you for any help.

1. Strong woody-stalked ivy with light green leaves and clusters of light green berries.
This ivy grows at the back of my yard - the green berries have little whitish seeds inside. Just curious whether I should let them grow. Whether poisonous or not, they probably don't hurt birds - but I suspect that they don't eat them since I never find the clusters touched by them.

2. Another ivy with berries that eventually become reddish-purple, a neighbor once said that the berries are poisonous - they don't taste good.

3. Another ivy has little red berries.

Thanks again.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Here is what I wrote in answer to your other post.
"Welcome, Fred. The first two do look like a grape of some sort, both in leaf shape and in the berries. I am surprised that the birds don't eat them though. Maybe not ripe enough for them? I am just not a vine expert. I hope someone can come along and help you."

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Not a problem, Cindy. I just hope he gets his answers soon. I feel bad when I can't help someone.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
1 might be a wild grape, there's also something that looks like grape yet isn't and it's not something you want to eat, iirc, the look-a-like is in the nightshade family
2 which leaves go with that red berry? could be honeysuckle fruit
3 is pokeweed.

never eat anything unless you're sure what it is! other than wild grape, if that's what it is, everything else is poisonous!

Zone 6b
OP Offline
Thanks for your prompt help gardeners!
Yes, Joclyn, 3 is definitely pokeweed, something birds can tolerate and mammals only if you really know what you are doing or use it in very small amounts for medicinal or research purposes so I guess it's not something I'm dying to use. And it makes a purple ink and supposedly a brown dye when mixed with pumpkin. Some areas of my house are done up in inkberry - it's a nice color for those who like dramatic colors. The least poison seems to be as you work up the plant from root to berry, so that's nice - you won't die after only 1 or 2 berries. But maybe it'll help something in you for all or your suffering.
Now Joclyn, you mentioned honeysuckle - I'll bet it IS honey suckle - because my neighbor's fragrant growth of honeysuckle is 3 feet from those vines and must have come over a little - it smells great! So we've already got two out of the way.
jonni13 says maybe number 1 is a wild grape in both leaf and berry. I hope I didn't just pull a whole lot of good stuff out.

So I need to keep working on the nightshade and the "grape-like" one so I'm sure.

Thank you very much.
By the way, I should have started a new thread - didn't mean to cut in on your thread, I just couldn't find an appropriate place to put my question.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image