Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#292082 Aug 10th, 2009 at 04:37 PM
Calla1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have an Elephant Leaf Philo it is quite tall and has about 20 leaves which are huge....it is also sending out roots from it's stalk.....is it ok to cut off these roots or will it kill the plant????? They are snaking around the baseboard of the sunroom and climbing the walls...I love the plant but it is creeping out everyone who sees it....HELP!!!!

Last edited by Bill; Aug 10th, 2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Changed subject line and moved it
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Calla1 First let me welcome you to the Gardenhelper wavy grin ,

Secondly,,,
perhaps one of our moderators will move this to the houseplant thread so it will get more views and responses.

maybe it's air roots ?? I don't know about cutting them off. maybe the pot it's in is too small?? Not sure??? But I'm sure other members will help you once this has been moved, hang in there you'll get some answers soon :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Calla1 #292095 Aug 10th, 2009 at 06:18 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
teach You can trim the air roots to keep them from wandering, but never cut them back too far! (no more than a third of their length at a time, and never trim more than half of the roots at a given time,

Bill #292104 Aug 10th, 2009 at 07:14 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
those roots are actually trying to find support so the plant can continue to grow upwards.

that's what most philodendron do - grow up!

best to leave them on and put in some kind of totem or board (2 x 4 would work fine) so the plant can grow onto it instead of the baseboards or walls.

the plus with putting in a totem is that the plant will grow up it and as it grows upwards, it'll mature and when that happens it'll morph and develop the adult leaves. the adult form usually varies dramatically from the juvenile form - it's like having two completely different plants at once because you usually end up with younger growth (sprouting from below) along with the mature growth that's at the top!

if you want to keep it in juvenile form and/or keep it under control in the room, you can cut the vine and root it next to the mother piece or in a separate container...i'd still put in some kind of totem/board though so as to keep it neat-looking.

i'd be interested in doing a trade to get a cutting of it.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #299276 Nov 2nd, 2009 at 07:34 PM
The only trouble I've ever had from triming back my philodendron's aerials is timing -- I usually reduce them by about a third and try to only do it in the fall -- no matter how tempting it is to cut them back in the summer when they really take off, that's always been a bit of a mistake -- they get revenge and grow back faster, branching out from above the cuts. So you're timing is perfect. Don't be afraid to cut off entire roots, either, that can be better than merely trimming a root as they can branch out from those ends, getting even more unwieldy. Maybe give it a weak feed shortly after while it adjusts.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image