Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#119692 Aug 28th, 2007 at 05:50 AM
OP Offline
Hello.

I have a couple of Bear's Britches plants growing out back and they always put on a good display for me. They produce quite big seeds but I've never made use of them - does anyone know if it's worth growing some (I suppose that, technically, they would be called Bearcub's Britches!)

starfish #119702 Aug 28th, 2007 at 06:05 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I've never tried growing one from seed, but I've read that it takes several years for them to reach maturity. Because I live in an area that often gets late spring freezes, mine rarely blooms, but when it does it's one of my favorite plants. Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #120222 Aug 29th, 2007 at 01:03 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Alan - I think that, in a perverse way, the fact that it takes years to get these to maturity makes it more of an attractive challenge to me! So, watch this space and in maybe 5 years or so I'll report back on progress!

starfish #120362 Aug 29th, 2007 at 08:18 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Starfish.....I've wanted this plant...I'll take seeds!So is the area you have it growing in moist or dry?I know you get more rainfall than me.My shade area I'm thinking of for it is more on the dry side.sis said to watch out for the leaves as are thorny...she had hers set in back area of bed.

I've seen it grow.My sister had one.I seen it in May 2004.It wasn't blooming then,but did in late july.she sent the picture printed as a birthday card.hers was pink but looked like was 3 white stalks and a purple single stalk off to one side.It don't survive kids dumping logs for fireplace on.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #120835 Aug 30th, 2007 at 03:50 AM
OP Offline
Njoynit

I'd like to send you some seeds but, as I've mentioned elsewhere previously, I don’t know if this would be allowed under US postal laws?
In any case I would recommend this plant to anyone - the leaves are big and impressive and the flower spikes (three or four from each plant) are tall (about the height of foxgloves) and last all summer(the flowers on mine are hooded, two-tone white and purple). I have them at the back of a flower bed, which is actually in the partial shade of my almond tree (dealing with the nuts of which was the subject of my very first posting!). The plants have always done well and never needed any special attention, though having said that, I noticed last night that the leaves are beginning to get a bit of mildew!

starfish #291939 Aug 9th, 2009 at 07:11 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
This is an old topic But just saw it on the side bar in who's on line ~ someone reading it,
I've never heard of this plant,, so I looked it up,
It pretty cool, it puts me in mind of Foxgloves as Njoynit pointed out in the above post,
Does anyone here grow it??
I'd like to get some seeds for this my self grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #291941 Aug 9th, 2009 at 07:42 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have had this plant. I think John got annoyed with running into the uncomfortably prickly leaves and chopped it to death. It will grow into a good sized clump at least 3 ft wide and a couple of feet tall. It reminds me of rhubarb with leaves you don't want to cuddle. The bloom stalks will grow up to about 5-6 feet.
It will grow in full sun here with no added irrigation but die back to roots by mid summer to resurface in fall/winter after rains begin. It is best in part shade with irrigation and stays evergreen here then. I will be on the lookout for the seeds or plants for you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #291946 Aug 9th, 2009 at 07:59 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I had two, one never has bloomed, and the other only bloomed once (that's the one I dug up and threw out because it overgrew it's spot). We are subject to late spring feezes that kill the buds, so no blooms, but I really love this plant....very architectural.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #291951 Aug 9th, 2009 at 08:32 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
It will grow in full sun here with no added irrigation but die back to roots by mid summer to resurface in fall/winter after rains begin. It is best in part shade with irrigation and stays evergreen here then. I will be on the lookout for the seeds or plants for you.

Cooool Thanks Tina grin

I had two, one never has bloomed, and the other only bloomed once (that's the one I dug up and threw out because it overgrew it's spot). We are subject to late spring feezes that kill the buds, so no blooms, but I really love this plant....very architectural.

awwwwwww So sorry it wasn't successful for you Alan.
You say it over grew it spot,, Could you not have replanted it an different area to accommodate the room for it?? why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #291954 Aug 9th, 2009 at 08:47 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
They are huge plants. A lot of gardeners feel they are pesty kind of things. They do not always transplant well and if you leave a bit of root behind they will regrow in the area where you are trying to rid them of. If you decide to plant them, plan an area about 5'x5' at least. And not near a pathway where you want to walk by comfortably. And not surrounded by persnickety plants that need you to care for them because they are uncomfortable to work around or with.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #291959 Aug 9th, 2009 at 09:27 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Okay dokie,, I know where I could plant it If I were to ever get hold of a plant.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #292032 Aug 10th, 2009 at 04:16 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts

[/quote] awwwwwww So sorry it wasn't successful for you Alan.
You say it over grew it spot,, Could you not have replanted it an different area to accommodate the room for it?? why [/quote]

Unfortunately, I didn't have a space large enough in the right area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image