Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Wow Lynne this summer is flying by boohoo it is August already and soon will be fall.
We love watching your experience with your pond grin
I placed links here to your last thread to start this new thread with, I hope you don't mind grin The pictures were too awesome to get lost at the end of a closed thread boohoo , so I started a new thread for ya kissie
Your Pink water lily is beautiful! clap
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291824#Post291824

lovin' your stylish waders in these pictures lol
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291823#Post291823

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much for starting this new thread, Diane kissie, and also for looking at my pond threads and your very nice comments! :wink:

Carol - I also would like to thank you for looking and commenting. kissie I was a bit hesitant to post the pictures of myself, as I don't really like the way I am aging these days, but it's so much better than the alternative you know?!? thumbup

[color:#000000]very nice lynne nice to meet you again (i remember the wrennie pics)
and your pond looks good. and i get about the string algae. but i've seen it that way in lots of places naturally. i'm just impressed that the water is clear enough to see it that well!

Thanks Jiffy! I know that algae like that grows naturally, but we prefer the cleaner look to our pond really. This stuff is just really taking over - and it's ever since I scrubbed it off the waterfall rocks, so I really do think I created a monster by doing that! The ponding forums that I participate in recommended putting clay in stockings in the pond (they say to buy plain kitty litter with no additives because it is the same stuff as the Koi Clay that is sold in pond stores but ever so much cheaper!!!) - I did that but it hasn't done anything for the algae yet. They also say barley straw works, and I replaced the old stuff with some new 2 days ago, but it has to start breaking down before we might see any results from that either. rolz

The water is so nice and clear because Don bought 2 UV lights about a month ago - it really does the trick! They were very expensive, but worth every dime, as we can see the fish from up in our second story windows, as well as standing right by the pond. luv
[/color]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Phew! I am really glad Diane started another thread for this because I was so disappointed when I came on specifically to post here and it was locked! I hadn't noticed the post count! boohoo

First, I want to say your pond is just lovely. Maxi and I so enjoy looking at your pictures. And that pink lily is the prettiest one I've ever seen.

Second, I love your haute couture ponding fashion! What every Best Dressed Ponder Should Own!

Third, I do so hope you can resolve the algae issues. I would freak out to see something like that if I had such a beautiful pond!

Will there be more photos soon?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Phew! I am really glad Diane started another thread for this because I was so disappointed when I came on specifically to post here and it was locked! I hadn't noticed the post count! boohoo

First, I want to say your pond is just lovely. Maxi and I so enjoy looking at your pictures. And that pink lily is the prettiest one I've ever seen.

Second, I love your haute couture ponding fashion! What every Best Dressed Ponder Should Own!

Third, I do so hope you can resolve the algae issues. I would freak out to see something like that if I had such a beautiful pond!

Will there be more photos soon?

Merme

Thanks for looking Merme! kissie

Those waders are pretty heavy, even though I do "bounce" a bit in th pond in them since there are lots of air bubbles inside the legs. I had to reach down into the water lily pots to put some tomato fertilizer spikes in, and even though the waders come up so high on me, I could just about get my arm down into the pot before the water came seeping into the waders! shock Mission accomplished though thankfully. One is supposed to fertilize every 2 weeks or so, but I have not since I put the pots in, in the beginning of the summer because it's not so easy to just drop into the pond, you know?

Thanks about the algae - I'm thinking this is a bad year for it, because a friend of mine who lives 40 miles northwest of here has the same issue this year, and her pond has been up and running for several years more than ours. First time she's had this problem too. They say that birds can bring it into the pond, and we do have robins bathing in the waterfall often. I love to watch them - it is what Mother Nature is all about, right???

Now that I know how to use Don's very good camera, I'm sure I will be taking lots more pictures there. Stay tuned...! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
One more picture from yesterday.
I bought this basket at Christmas Tree Shops earlier this summer. It reminded me of the kind of baskets that driving ranges keep golf balls in - my parents were obsessed with golf!!! Anywho... I thought that if Don cut off the handle and I turned it upsidedown, the fish might enjoy swimming in and out of it, and could "hide" in there if a predator came along. They do love swimming through it, and Don has seen some sleeping in there early in the morning when he leaves for work at 5a.m.

BUT... here it is all covered in that "lovely" string algae! tapfoot
And can you see all the algae on the pond floor??? Helppppppppp! boohoo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
That is a very cool basket for the fishies, Lynne. But I too would be heartsick to see all that algae!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
From the reading I've done, by the way, the UV lights which so beautifully cure green water in a pond, actually cause String algae to flourish! Besides the things I have seen you've already tried, I've also read that shading the pond will also help reduce string Algae. Interestingly enough, so will dark vegetable dyes which will be filtered out eventually & need to be reapplied.

I find it crazy that the conditions one wants to achieve... clear water, good nutrients, etc., provoke string algae. So you get rid of the string algae and end up with green water? What a frustrating Catch 22.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Point Merme,, It does seem like a catch 22 boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
That is exactly correct Merme!!! The people on the pond forums told me that string algae is considered "the GOOD algae" because when you have that, you don't have the pea soup GREEN water!!! You usually have clear water with it - but who wants to look into the clear water and see that horrible mess???

DEFINITELY a catch 22! madd

As for putting dye in the water - many public places do that so the light of the sky reflects off the surface of the water and then visitors do not see all that yucky stuff. It's mostly used in reflecting ponds, but if one wants their fish to be seen, it's not a good idea to use it. The colors most often used are dark blue or black so you can see how the fish would not show through that. rspb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'D find it hard to call that stuff "GOOD algae", Lynne!!! Of course, I'm no pond expert, but I surely wouldn't want it in my pond (if I had one, that is)!!

I feel for you on this topic, I really do. You have such a beautiful pond, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have to deal with this. You guys have put a TON of work (and expense) into it and so wouldn't it be swell if it basically ran trouble free?

That's what I'd wish for you.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

I feel for you on this topic, I really do. You have such a beautiful pond, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have to deal with this. You guys have put a TON of work (and expense) into it and so wouldn't it be swell if it basically ran trouble free?

That's what I'd wish for you.Merme

merme that is so well said that all I can do it agree whole heartedly!!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Merme and Carol. kissie
While we are not making any headway in getting rid of the string algae, I did try something I had read about on the pond forums. Someone there had taken small black circles of craft foam and put floating plants in it - I thought that looked nice and was a great way to get more plants onto the surface of the pond. I finally remembered to look for foam on my last visit to ACMoore - jeeeeeeeze - ya think I could remember BEFORE summer is almost over here?!? why touched thumbup

First I saw the sheets of foam for 59 cents each, but on my way out I found this cute pre-cut flower in the dollar aisle. I thought the color matched my water lily blooms nicely so I gave it a try. I cut an "X" in the center and put some parrots feather cuttings through it. It has to be tethered, but I do like it - I'm thinking of going back and getting some of the cheaper sheets and tracing this flower to make more. This was the only flower they had that matched the colors of my pond.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
that's nice lynne, and i had to look hard to see the tether.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is very cute. And very creative. And look as hard as I can, I don't see a tether at all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
That is adorable, for sure!!! I especially love the color.

and IF I am right I do see the tether--BUT I only looked again because of what Jiffy & tina said.....so it did take me awhile to locate what I THINK is it. why

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
What a Workable Idea To use that as a Plant holder Lynne thumbup I hope you can find a Blue one to hold a plant in too . grin or something simular

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks everyone! kissie
(though I didn't think finding the tether was the important thing, what you can see is the tiny plastic loop that holds the foam to the tether wire)

This was EXACTLY 2 YEARS AGO TODAY - the first time the pond was filled and ready to go!
[Linked Image]

And yesterday with lots of plants thumbup and fish luv and algae!!! rolz
(through the upstairs bathroom window because that's the only place I can get the entire pond area in the camera frame like this!
[Linked Image]

What a difference 2 years can make, huh?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Frickin' Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is a fantastic difference, Lynne. You can see the hard work put into it and just relax looking at it now. (Although I know there is not enough 'relax'to the whole thing).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Diane and Tina!

I wish you could see it up front and personal - the variegated grasses on either side are taller than my 5'1", and Jimmy's orange cannas must be close to 8 feet tall this year!!!

Most of the plants in the foreground on each side needs to be replanted each year, except for the sedum which are getting way too big for the areas and are splayed apart now from all the rain we've been having. I am going to have to divide them again next year! Then the problem will be finding another garden to put them in!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup lynne, that is so very awesome. i wish i could come sit by it with you for an evening (no more afternoons for me, ever)

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
gorgeous. Could your basket be a lobster basket. I have a similar one from what I can tell and it's a lobster basket.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Hey!! I L-O-V-E your pond.I love how it looks and I love that you are sharing it with us!!!'

I so wish I could come and sit by it with you!!!! I know it would look even more wonderful in real life. You uare one lucky lady to have such a beautiful place in your yard.

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Oh how I would LOVE for you all to come and sit a spell with me by the pond! kissie Don has finished building the new adirondack chair, and it's primed. I just need to go out and get the paint now!

Here are the plants on the waterfall hill to the right side of the falls.
I think they are filling in nicely this year, don't you? thumbup
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Awesome! Those aren't really easy to see from your overhead view. And it is the little details that help make the pond.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Tina!

This is what it looks like around the bend from the former picture of the sedums, etc. These are 3 yucca babies from tubers that I dug up last summer when I had to move the mamma plant. Mamma did not survive the move, but her babies are growing in a few gardens around the yard. thumbup

[Linked Image]

And this plant is in a pot in the front of the pond -
it's called Curly Rush and I just love how the leaves grow in spirals! luv
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Awesome! Those aren't really easy to see from your overhead view. And it is the little details that help make the pond.

Yes, Tina, I agree with you completely. As I have said--Lynne's garden/pond would be ever so much more beautiful in person!!!

......But these extra pictures are a best second!!!!

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks once again, Tina and Carol! kissie kissie

My water lilies have really taken off since we had a warmer end to August. And I say "so there!" neenee to the water lily snobs on another forum website! Just because these were cheapo ones bought at WalMart and PetSmart, doesn't make them any uglier in my opinion! Sure I would LOVE to be able to afford some of the gorgeous ones they all are growing, but since it's not in my budget for now (at prices such as $50 and up to hundreds!), these will do very nicely I think!

There are 2 more buds that I can see on this plant under the water right now,
and one sticking up between the 2 brown pads that you can see.
[Linked Image]

This one has 3 more buds yet to come to the surface
[Linked Image]

And the last plant, that I bought about a month ago at PetSmart, that had a tiny half-dead rhyzome, has a bud on the surface and one underneath that I can see. That really excites me because I didn't think I'd see any pads on that one this year, let alone any flowers! So I say... YEA for the CHEAPO water lilies! clap thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
those pink flowers were cheap? They are too gorgeous to be called cheap. I've never seen a $50.00 one I suppose but I can't imagine they'd look any better.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
those pink flowers were cheap? They are too gorgeous to be called cheap. I've never seen a $50.00 one I suppose but I can't imagine they'd look any better.

I have to agree with Sheri. May I also say IF I were so foolish as to spend $50.00 & up on any flower/plant---I could never enjoy it. I would be too nervous wondering if it were going to live or die, ya know???

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I love a good deal on plants. And agree with Carol. If I spent a fortune I'd worry the plant to death trying to keep it alive.
Those are beautiful. Lynne. I never tried water lilies in my pond. I did try water hyacinths on a few occasions but I guess that raccoons think they are a delicacy put out just for them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Your lilies are worth $50 and more, they're absolutely beautiful.... and worth more because you share them with us. You sure have done a great job with your pond.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Rosepetal
Your lilies are worth $50 and more, they're absolutely beautiful.... and worth more because you share them with us. You sure have done a great job with your pond.

Girl, I like the way you think!!! thumbup

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so very much, Sheri, Carol, Tina and Rosepetal!!! kissie
I can't tell you how much your very kind words mean to me! :wink:

The rain has stopped and it so lovely outside - won't you join me?
[Linked Image]

Top waterfall grasses are in bloom!
[Linked Image]

Side view...
[Linked Image]

This is my "cheapo" Sioux water lily from PetSmart - $5.99 and the rhyzome was only about 3 inches long and 1/2 dead when I opened the package! I gave it my best try and it has rewarded me with 2 of these beautiful blooms so far this summer! It's called a "changeable water lily" because it starts out pale yellow, and then ages to a darker reddish-rust color. I'm in love! luv
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Again, each flower only lasts about 3 days - such a shame!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Lynne they are so beautiful-----I love it as well...why, it is like you have 2 water lillies in one, since they change colors---I think that is so cool thumbup

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WAAAAH!!! Two of my fish are missing and the others are so scared they won't come out from under the lily pads to eat! I am soooooo upset! I don't even know what did it - could have been a racoon, cat, egret, or even the black bear that came up on our second story deck twice last winter! Whatever it was, also left a "deposit" on the top step of deck stairs, so it was up there too, probably looking for birdseed! I don't put any out during the summer months so I guess it got even with me and took fish instead! I HOPE it's not the bear again! Either way, I am so very sad... I will be thrilled if the other 2 fish are just hiding in fear, but I don't think that's the case. One of them was my largest one. boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Oh Lynne--How awful--I so am hoping the missing 2 fish are just hiding well-or at least that one of them is..... tears nono

I hope that when Don gets home the 2 of yo ucan piece together what happened and that you will be able to prevent it from happening again.

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Carol! Don's initial reaction was just what I thought it would be - to buy a scarecrow motion detector sprinkler - but those babies are expennnnnnsive!

I keep looking out the window to make sure nothing is getting to the fish!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry you lost your fishy pets. I hope they are hiding too. If it is a bear or a raccoon The motion detector sprinkler may only startle them initially. Then they might just enjoy the shower. They are more effective on rabbits and deer. They spook easier.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm sorry about your fish but your yard and pond are beautiful. The blue pots are gorgeous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image