Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21055 Apr 13th, 2007 at 05:31 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I started morning glories inside and they are getting quite tall/long and every morning I have to untangle them from each other. They were started in peat pellets and then moved to cups. Can I put these in a big pot with a trellis indoors and then just move the pot outside when it's warm enough? They should grow just fine in a pot rather than be planted in the ground right?

Can they be 'trailing' plants also? Instead of climbing up? If I put them in my planters on my deck railing?

PattyM
ND farm girl #21238 Apr 13th, 2007 at 08:25 AM
Morning glories make beautiful hanging baskets. They will tangle, but they will also climb or hang. I have had sucess with hanging my baskets from my trellis house and they will spread.
Morning glories will also spread on fences easily. In fact, if you plant them in the ground, they will attach and climb to practically anything close to them.
After the season (winter or early spring) harvest the seed pods. The vines will be dead but the pods will hold 2, 3 or more seeds. Keep in a dry place and then replant when ready. Mine usually volunteer to come back (ones in ground) if left alone.

Sherri
sbreland #21272 Apr 13th, 2007 at 08:50 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Any ideas of what to pair them up with in a hanging basket?

PattyM
ND farm girl #21303 Apr 13th, 2007 at 09:09 AM
Usually morn glo will tend tp choke out other temder plants so I usually plant them by themselves in baskets. I have in the past done a lot of mixing of plants for container gardening but not with m g. Right now, I have been more into relandscaping my yard due to the fact that Katrina tore up everything around here pretty good. I finally got the front about done (about 1 1/2 acres), but I have woods in the back and on the sides that I'm still working on (so many trees down, heavy undergrowth to clear back out).
But back to the morn glo, I have a plot with irises that the glories grow in and they have never harmed them. So, I guess something tall and sturdy that won't get choked out would work.

Sherri
sbreland #29179 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 07:05 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I have some nasturiums in one of my pots hanging basket.I grow most of my JMG in hanging baskets.they will go up the string they hang on and climb back down.

Rita gave us trees down.I had seeds blowing off plants going 20 ft.I STILL have castor beans sprouting.I know they are not from last year.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image