Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#291400 Aug 1st, 2009 at 11:42 AM
OP Offline
Do I HAVE to divide large hostas? I love how big some of mine are. Another thing: Is it best to remove the dead flowers? Oh and I'm wondering if I am winning the war with slugs. I treated with a chemical this spring and still I haven't seen evidence of the chewing. I've been waging this war for years and wonder if I am getting the eggs killed.

dandelion #305254 Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You don't have to divide them but if they tend to get overgrown or start to decline, it might be wise to do so. I divide mine often. Slugs are the main problem although you don't need chemicals. You can just use small lid covers filled with beer, it works.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #313448 Apr 17th, 2010 at 09:11 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
I don't know where I heard this, but some think it's best to leave flowers and long stems right where they are.

This is because bugs that actually eat aphids - don't know what they are - breed inside the stalks of things like hostas, Hollyhock, etc.

This stuck in my mind and I didn't snip things down last fall, like I usually do.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
Carly #313449 Apr 17th, 2010 at 09:14 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
We planted hostas from the neighbour's yard last spring and they came up well. We just transferred them again - just 'moved them over', really.

They didn't have any bugs - just lucky I guess.

If they start getting any bug holes in the heat, I'll put wet wood under them - they say the bugs will go under the wood to get shade, rather than clinging to the undersides of the leaves.

And yes - I've heard about the beer. We don't drink, so we therefore have no beer - guess I could buy a bottle from somebody and pour them in saucers. But I'm not going to do anything till I see the bugs.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,872
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image