Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#290080 Jul 19th, 2009 at 07:02 AM
OP Offline
A friend was telling me that she learned from a lady that grew patcholi,that she propagated her plants this way..... by placing the cuttings in newspaper and wetting it down and keeping it moist for about a week, then putting the cuttings in soil. She also propagated blue sage that way too. While there are other ways to propagate these, I am just curious of the method and would like to know about any info on the the subject.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I've had a brugmansia cutting sent to me last year wrapped in a moist paper towel and wrapped in a baggie. I received the cutting, opened it, but forgot to plant it. I came back a week later and was surprised to find that there were healthy roots growing.

The whole 'idea' to wrapping in moist newspaper is to create a moist environment to encourage the cutting to root. 90% of the time, cuttings fail to root because of too much moisture or they dry out in the process. If you do want to try this method, make sure your squeeze out the water from the newspaper/paper towel so it's moist and NOT slopping wet. After that, to rewet, you can pour a bit of water over it, or dunk the paper end in water. Enclosing the paper end of the cutting in a plastic bag (open it daily for fresh air and reseal) can help the paper stay moist longer.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
How cool can it get ? Brug rooted..

My first brug is in blooom today. yesterday it was yellow , today it is pink.
July it never bloomed before ..September it did.

Photo after it opens fully.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
OP Offline
ty kennyso, thought i would try it,i remembered my mom always put newspaper in the bottom of her holes when she planted roses, they always did well. thanks for info i wasnt too clear on how much moisture b4 now i get it. wavy gl with ur angel trumpets i had a nice tree when i lived in fla, the pink ones and also some purple on bushes which were very prolific and easy to grow from the scattered seed pod. i really enjoyed the fragrance. flickr.com

Last edited by RainbowRockie; Jul 19th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
i've never heard of putting newspaper at the bottom of planting holes, but i know some people line the bottom of their pots with it so the potting mix doesn't fall out. I do know that newspaper is great for smothering weeds to make a new garden. You can make great biodegradable pots with it, as well as add it to your compost as a 'brown' scrap. ah the wonders of the newspaper lol if you're scared of drowing cuttings that you're trying to root in potting medium, you can always add perlite to make it drain faster :)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image