Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#289966 Jul 18th, 2009 at 08:34 AM
OP Offline
Agh! My japanese maple, red maple and cherry tree are infested. I have sprayed them all with insectide. Anything else I can do? Thanks grin

gardeningmomma #289968 Jul 18th, 2009 at 08:49 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Traps work sometimes. You can get them at any big box hardware store. They just hang up in the tree.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #289989 Jul 18th, 2009 at 10:43 AM
I hear ya. They are all over my day lilies and cone flowers and that has never happened before. I walk around the garden nad pick them off and they go into a container with water to drown. I hate them.

Marica #290045 Jul 18th, 2009 at 06:45 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
Traps work sometimes. You can get them at any big box hardware store. They just hang up in the tree.

Good luck!

I heard that the traps just draw the beetles. so while it does catch some beetles, it draws so many more Does anyone know if that is true??

Good luck to you.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #290096 Jul 19th, 2009 at 08:17 AM
mrw Offline
I have also heard that traps attract more. However we hung two traps and have caught many. I also go around with a container of soapy water, flick them off my plants and drown them. The soap causes almost instant death, don't know why, otherwise they will swim for days in the plain water. I hate them too!!

wildwoman
mrw #290208 Jul 19th, 2009 at 07:11 PM
OP Offline
I always thought they were neat looking, but they cause such damage. Hopfully, we have them under control now. Thanks

gardeningmomma #290215 Jul 19th, 2009 at 07:57 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I, too, have a horrendous Japanese Beetle problem this year. It seems to get worse and worse as the years go on. I also try to pick them off and drop them into soapy water. I love the idea of them drowning, after all the damage they have done to my plants - I know, bad Lynne!!! blush why But I cannot help it - they have ruined many many plants this year already! madd

I have always heard not to use the traps because it does draw in more beetles than one starts out with. I tried it one summer and it did exactly that! The bag kept filling up more than they should have. I was reading somewhere online today about Japanese beetles and someone humorously wrote that you should "invite them into your neighbor's yard"! If only I could! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #290310 Jul 20th, 2009 at 06:15 PM
Ugh, they are the bane of my existence this year! They are munching away on my "happy chappy" ground cover rose & trying to eat the buds on my "4th of July" rose. I too, have a container of soapy water I drown them in, 12 off one bush one morning!!

I just bought a spray, "Sevin" from Lowes today, we'll see how it works.

http://www.gardening123.com/Product...M=3&UPCIDGr=1&Info=1&iUPCID=

I read somewhere during my research of them, how to prevent, get rid of...etc, that they only do damage for approximately a 4 week span. Anyone heard anything similar?

Last edited by Ceilteach; Jul 20th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir
Ceilteach #290315 Jul 20th, 2009 at 06:23 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I can't use Sevin on the plants by my pond, as it would probably harm the fish, and I also try not to use chemicals if I can help it, but they are really getting me upset!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #290335 Jul 20th, 2009 at 08:03 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
4 weeks is about right for how long they are active/destructive.

the time period is earlier the further south you are and later in more northern locals.

where i'm at it's usually end of june through july and i just realized, today, i haven't seen a one. they might just be late this year due to early spring wet weather and unusually cooler temps since (the nights have been SOOOO lovely for sleeping - no a/c needed).

it was really bad here a few years ago - thought i was going to lose my fav rose as well as a couple others (i have 7 bushes). after that, i kept finding the grubs in the soil and i'd cut them in half with the spade and that's definitely contributed to less each year.

the traps do work...the trick is to put them somewhere AWAY from your gardens so that the attractant in them (which is very strong) pulls them away from the plants. it doesn't say it on the package (of course not because they'd be defeating repeat purchases) - the best place to put the traps is at least 50 feet away - maybe a little more. the attractant is very potent and they'll go for it over the plants...

you can treat your soil/lawn with milky spore powder...the stuff is expensive, yet it does work. takes a couple years to be fully effective though. regular grub treatments don't necessarily kill the jb grubs - if they say the do, then they have some milky spore in the mix...probably not enough to really do the job though.

usual treatment with the milky spore is mid-late spring, early fall and again the following spring. and it works better/faster if the neighbors also treat their lawns - especially at the spots where yours/theirs connect.

i've found most of the grubs right in the flower beds...have found some a few feet away in the grass, though, too, so it's important to spread the stuff out all over.

water mixed with a few drops of dish soap and maybe a drop or two of cooking oil is a good treatment - put the mix in a bowl and flick the bugs into it or you can put it in a spray bottle and spray the bugs - just don't do that when the sun is out because it may cause damage to the leaves (especially if you have oil in it).

unless they take your plants down to nothing, most plants (they eat other things besides roses) should recover - especially if they've got a well-established root system.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #290554 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 04:01 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Japanese beetles aren't a ptoblem here, but they are apparently spreading. I looked up this page from Cornell University's site.
http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/yates/6710.htm

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image