Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28896 Apr 22nd, 2007 at 02:16 PM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, this is something I have never understood. I have peperomias. I have read many times that they are semi-succulent, but what does that mean? That they sort of store water? That the branches store water, but not the leaves? The leaves store water, but not the branches? Does anyone know?

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #28980 Apr 22nd, 2007 at 08:08 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i think, because i have one, that it means that they store water and are thick and fleshy, like a succulent, but i don't believe they propagate like a true succulent, and i don't think they handle the temps some succulents can.

#29128 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 06:11 AM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jiffy.

I posted this on another forum and the answer I got there was that a lot of peperomias store water for a time (like you said), but are not drought tolerant like a jade or cactus would be. Like African Violets though. That makes sense. I noticed that they also have shallow, small root systems like succulents.

I know what you mean about the heat. Last summer I burned my two variegated peperomia obtusifolias by leaving them a little less than a foot away from an eastern window. They were two of my favorites, so that really hurt. I was able to salvage some stem cuttings and root two leaves. That was last August. Only two weeks ago did I see a new little plant emerging from one of the leaves. 8 months later! I'm still waiting for the other. Patience, patience... I know I could just go and buy another one pretty cheap, but I want to stick it out. The stems rooted pretty easily. I only have experience with that type of peperomia though. I don't know how the others are. I just got a rooted cutting of Peperomia Dolabriformis about 2 weeks ago. It seems like a very nice plant, so I'm hoping for the best with it.

Thanks again.
Amanda

Amanda / Zone 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image