Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I've separated my Poker plants in the past but I would like to try growing some from seed. I can see the seeds on the flower stems and I'm wondering should thet be harvested while green or do I need to wait until they are dry and brown?

A Queen Ann's Lace popped up in the middle of my vegetables this year. Apparently it caught a ride in a pack of spinach seeds. I love it and would like to know how to collect the seeds so that I can plant it in a better location next year.

Thanks for your help!

Shari

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Shari. I'm just not sure about the queen anne's lace. I hope someone comes along and helps you. But I believe they didn't arrive via spinach package but may have been left by a passing bird.
But the red hot poker is an easy plant to grow from the seed. I harvest them just before they drop or after a few have dropped. I also plant them immediately. The ones that drop will often start new plants on their own that I end up moving to a new location.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Queen anne's lace is a biennial, meaning they grow leaves the first year, and bloom the next. They are a member of the carrot family, and is considered a weed in some places (including here in Canada). I don't think it came with your spinach seeds. More likely the seed was dropped by an animal or was blown there by the wind. They form carrot like taproots and can be difficult to get rid of.

*IMPORTANT* queen anne's lace looks like another plant called water hemlock, which is VERY toxic. Hemlock has cyanide in it and was used to kill Socrates. Make sure you wash your hands well after touching the plant, just in case.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image