Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#285785 Jun 14th, 2009 at 07:03 PM
flnurse Offline OP
OP Offline
I live in North Florida. I have a 2-4 year old crepe myrtle, only 4 foot tall and very thin. The trunk is not very big, maybe that of my thumb or a bit bigger. I believe the soil it is in is not ideal for it. I'm wanting to transplant it to another area. Does anyone have any idea how hearty the root structure is of crepe myrtles? How wide and deep would I have to dig to get a good root ball and avoid cutting the main root? Thank you, in advance.

flnurse

flnurse #287492 Jun 28th, 2009 at 08:20 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
The rule of thumb for woody plants, that is, shrubs and trees, is 8 inches of rootball per inch of trunk diameter, measured about halfway to your knee...crepe myrtles are very tolerant of being transplanted, so you've got a very good chance of keeping it alive. Another rule of thumb, dig the new hole twice as wide as the rootball. I would throw in some bonemeal, but you don'tneed to, and it's not good to amend the soil with peat or topsoil, the plant will adapt to it's new location much better if you don't.
By "main root,", I'm thinking you mean a taproot? Don't even worry about it, crepe myrtles don't really have a "main" or tap root, just get the new hole prepared, dig the crepe myrtle and get it transplanted quickly, and I can almost guarantee it will be fine. The root system should be dug roughly half as deep as the width of the "ball," deeper is good, but you'll get most of the major roots going, say, 10 to 12 inches. You are transplanting one of the easiest shrubs of all, just keep adequate moisture on it. :)

dave
peppereater #287493 Jun 28th, 2009 at 08:23 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Ah, darn it, wish I'd seen that earlier, I think that one got away, that post was from the 14th.
PM me if you would, folks, when you see a newbie.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image